Chapter 31

Liam’s POV

“How is she?” Lauren asks. We were in the dressing room, the only time I wasn’t with Elodie. I’d tried to convince her to come in and wait along the side like Lauren did, so I could watch over her like Louis did with Lauren. I don’t think I’ve ever been shot down so quickly. It was nice to know that she hadn’t completely changed.

“She’s feeling a lot better,” I tell her. Lauren hesitates, calculating her next question, but I already know what she’s going to ask.

Did you ever find out why?”

“Yea…” I hesitate. “But you’re going to have to ask her about it.” She nods her head as if she expected that answer.

“Is it really that bad?”

“Worse,” I answer, seeing the concern appear in her eyes. Her forehead creases and I can see she’s trying to figure out what it could be. She doesn’t question me anymore, simply giving me a nod and kissing Louis’ cheek before standing up and walking out.

“Do you know when Elodie’s planning on rejoining class?” Liz pipes up from across the room where the Aussies were all spread out.

“Just give her a couple more days,” I plead with her, watching her lips purse with discontent. She’d been asking for the past week when Elodie was going to rejoin. I’d been able to claim she was still sick, but now she was getting better and Liz was getting frustrated by the lack of work. Still, how could I tell her she had to go back to doing schoolwork after everything she told me?  I try to put it out of my mind as the Aussies head for the stage and we begin our warm ups and head on ourselves. I see Louis keep glancing over to the side of the stage and I realize Lauren hasn’t reappeared to watch from her normal spot. That was odd. She always was here. The second the show was over, the two of us hurry to our respective busses. He to our normal bus, and I to the stylist bus I’d been sleeping in the past week or so to be near Elodie. I freeze in surprise when I walk in and see Lauren and Elodie sitting together on the couch. She must’ve come here after our conversation earlier I realize as they  both look up. I briefly feel like I’m interrupting something, but neither of them were talking when I’d walked in and Elodie had a book on her lap while Lauren was on her computer.

“Everything alright?” I ask cautiously, looking between the girls. They both give a brief nod and I hesitate a moment.

“There you are,” Louis says, appearing on the step behind me, looking around me to see Lauren. “I was worried.”

“I’m fine. Just hanging out,” Lauren says pleasantly, shutting her computer and standing up. He smiles and I can see his shoulders loosen when she gives him a smile. “C’mon, lets go. I’m hungry and I need to finish filling out these job applications,” she says to Louis, giving him a small shove out the door. I look back at Elodie, relaxed on the couch, reading her book, not having said a word since I came in.

“I’m...ummm...I’m going to take a shower…” I say, an almost questioning tone appearing in my voice as I gesture over my shoulder to the back of the bus. She nods her head and I head back to the bathroom, showering and getting rid of all the sweat from the show. I pull on a pair of sweats before re-emerging, glad I did when I see her outside the door, sitting on her bed and twisting her book in her hands as she stares blankly ahead. She looks up as I step into the room and I pause in the doorway, hearing the voices of the others in the main room.

“Why did Lauren come in?” she finally asks. “We don’t really hang out and I’ve never seen her miss a show…”

“I’m not sure,” I reply, sitting down on my own bed across from hers. “She was asking about you earlier… I think she’s worried about you.”