Chapter 21

Elodie’s POV

“You’re coming! Yay!” Melissa cries as Liam and I walk into their room.

“Yay…” I reply sarcastically. I didn’t particularly want to go with her and Mr Polite, but I really don’t have much choice. I knew better than to ask Paul if I could go out by myself. I’d be shot down so quickly and if I tried to sneak out again I’d find myself shipped off. So I was stuck going with little Miss Princess and her foolish Prince Charming if I wanted to get out of the hotel today. Once they’ve accumulated the necessary number of security to be out in New York for, the three of us are finally allowed to leave. The second we step out, it’s chaos. I thought their fans had mobbed the hotels at previous places, but that was nothing like here. The three of us were pretty much pressed against each other as the guards tried to hold back the swarm. Melissa was basking in the attention, of course, while I just grit my teeth and pressed on. It takes us over half an hour just to get to the first shop and inside we waste another hour as the princess tries on everything she can get her hands on. I’m beginning to regret coming along as the time ticks by. It didn’t seem like I’d be able to get any of the things I need. I’m getting more and more frustrated and more and more annoyed with Melissa. It gets to the point where the next time she squeals about how pink something was, I was going to punch her.

“Hey,” Mr Polite says, coming up behind me as I pick through a rack of clothes in the back.

“Jesus fucking christ.” I shout, jumping into the air in fright, earning a few death stares from the employees. “What do you want?” I ask as he laughs at my reaction.

“I erm. I just wanted to apologize again for earlier.”

“Forget about it,”

“No I genuinely th--’

“I said forget about it. You don’t like me and frankly I’m not particularly fond of you either. I’m only here because my dad asked and people don’t say no to my dad so don’t worry about apologizing or inviting me to things. I don’t give a shit so don’t feel bad.” He just looks at me in surprise.

“I don’t-”

“Shhh” I quiet him as my phone goes off.

Get me out of here. Please.

I look down at my phone, reading the text in confusion. I didn’t recognize the number.

Who is this?

“Really, I don’t” Mr Polite tries to continue.

“Will you just be quiet for like two seconds?” I snap. “Go see how the princess is doing.” I feel a little guilty as hurt flashes across his face for a split second, but he nods and walks away.

Lauren

I get the response almost immediately. How did she even have my number? The only people on this tour I’d given it to were Zayn and Michael.

What’s wrong? Where are you?

I reply, putting aside my confusion for the moment. Her text had sounded fairly desperate.

The Macy’s. We’re being swarmed. I can’t do this. Help

“I’m leaving,” I announce to the surprise of the guards nearby. “I want to go hang out with Lauren. I’m not just running off. I know where they are,” I snap when they begin to protest. Anywhere else, someplace as generic as Macy’s might not be enough, but in New York City, if you say Macy’s there’s only one that you’d go to. “Just one person drop me off there and then you can come back. I doubt the princess will even have moved from that rack,” I add, gesturing over to where she was perusing some ugly dresses. The guards exchange a look but eventually one of them nods and I grab my stuff, darting toward the door.