Chapter 28

Elodie’s POV

A loud knocking noise wakes me, but I’m too stiff to move. Water is hitting my cheek and I can’t stop shivering.

“Elodie open the damn door, I want to talk to you,” Liam bellows.

“What’s going on?” Lauren’s tired voice asks, joining the mix.

“She’s not opening her fucking door,” he growls and I hear the frame jiggle as he attempts to shove his way in.

“Did you ever think maybe she’s asleep?” Lauren snaps in annoyance. “It’s midnight,”

“I need to talk to her,” he growls.

“Fine just…” I hear Lauren trail off and a couple seconds later I hear the lock on my door open. Why the hell did she have a key card to my door?

“Lauren?” Louis’ voice asks.

“Just go back to sleep, I’ll be there in a minute,” Lauren says instantly turning soothingly.

“Where is she?” Liam snaps, now inside my room.

“I don’t know…” Lauren says before there’s a knock on the bathroom door. “Elodie? Are you in there?” I don’t answer, closing my eyes and praying they’ll just leave. The door creaks open.

“Oh fuck… Liam!” Lauren says quickly, sliding open the shower door.

“Christ,” Liam mutters and the water is shut off. It only makes the shivering more intense though.

“Help me get her up,” Lauren says and an arm slips around my waist.

“Move,” Liam orders and the arm disappears, replaced by a new one as I’m lifted off the ground.

“We need to get her out of those clothes, they’re soaked,” Lauren says as he sets me down on the bed.

“No…” I manage to croak as he starts working on getting my shoes and socks off. His hands instantly freeze, withdrawing from around me.

“Lauren, help her,” he says sounding strangled. Lauren comes over and takes over where Liam left off as Liam moves to the middle of the room.

“God, what happened? She seemed fine this morning,” Lauren asks.

“God dammit,” he shouts and I hear the sound of a fist hitting the wall.

“Liam!” Lauren calls out in a scared surprise. I hold my hands over my head and she helps me out of the wet clothes and into a pair of sweats before pulling the blanket over me as I lay down.

“Who did this? Who was it Elodie?” Liam shouts.

“Liam calm down,” Lauren shouts back.

“What’s going on?” Paul demands.

“Just leave us alone Paul” Liam orders, sounding angrier than I’d ever heard him. At first I tihnk Paul is going to argue back, but there’s never a response and I realize he must have listened to Liam.

“Christ what happened?” Lauren murmurs under her breath. She steps away from me and I force open my eyes, staring blankly ahead.

“Liam calm down. You need to calm down,” Lauren says and I see the two of them out of the corner of my eye. Liam looks like he’s ready to put a hole in the wall, while Lauren tries to get him to breathe.

“Lauren?” Louis asks, reappearing in the doorway. This time she hesitates, glancing amongst the three of us.

“Are you going to be ok?” she asks Liam. “And you’ll watch her?” He nods his head and she hesitates a moment longer before heading to the doorway and letting Louis take her back to their room. I watch as Liam takes a seat at the table before I close my eyes, still shaking.