Pasts and Futures

• Dedicated to Reindale Camello

I was 8 years old when my father took me to America where he grew up. He never really took me anywhere before. He was always at work and he never really paid any attention to me.

 I got home from school that day and my nana suddenly took me to my room to change clothes. We headed to the airport without even me knowing. It’s like he just dragged me but as a kid who never really had a chance to be with her father, I recognized that time as an opportunity to finally be with him. I was so eager to go. That time I only thought he’s the only family I have apart from my Nana who I always recognized as my mother.

We reached the place and I thought everything would finally turn around. I have always dreaded our house. It has been so quiet, so lonely, and so dark. I never imagined the day would come when I would long for that house. That time I wished I was home.

~~~

“Dad? Where are we going?” I asked as we were on the car going somewhere.

“Just wait and keep quiet” he answered

I did as he said. I slept for the entire trip.

I woke up to the screech of the car coming to a brake.

“Wake up Angel we’re here” Nana said as she opened the door.

We both got out and walked towards a big house. It had a big garden completely landscaped. The door leading inside was also huge. I bet the owner of this house is much like it, grand and proud. And I was right.

“So is this her?” a voice echoed inside the room. I looked over to where the voice was coming from. It was an old lady wearing a golden robe with her head held high. She was walking towards me, with a frown on her face. She doesn’t seem very happy to see me I can say.

“Who are you?” I can’t help but ask. She was very scary that I had to hold on to my Nana.

“Well, that’s very rude for someone to walk inside a house and not know the owner of it” she answered as she look at me furiously.

“I’m sorry, Angel is not used to meeting new people and it’s her first time to meet you.” Nana answered for me.

“Angel, huh? It’s good that your looks justify your name. But you are certainly not from heaven” she smirked as she walked away.

I looked at my Nana confused and upset “Who is she?” I asked.

“I am Theresa Hughes. I am the mother of your father. Unfortunately, that makes me your grandmother.”

~~~

Unfortunately..

What she said before, that it was unfortunate that we became related was accurate. I never expected that the day I meet a new family, is the start of all my misery. We stayed for a year. I had to study abroad where all other children are very different from what I was used to.

At home I would have to suffer from all the intended rude and snarky words of my so called ‘grandmother’. Everything she said stabbed me inside. I took everything seriously.

You were a mistake.

You’ll never be a part of this family.

You’re born to be like your mother, a stupid social climber.

My son doesn’t deserve any of this.

Why can’t you just disappear!

I lost all my respect for her in that 1 year I had to endure staying inside her house.