Chapter 29

Things have calmed down between Jonas, Jackson, and I. Jonas has been keeping his distance between us and that has really helped with everything. Sometimes I miss talking to Jonas because he was a really good friend before he started acting up.

Today I am running the ER.

The EMTs burst in with a woman on the gurney.

"What do we got?"

"45 year old woman hit in a drunk driving accident. We lost her a couple times in the field but she's stable for now. When she regained consciousness she kept telling us her son works here."

I look down to see it's Joanne, Jonas's mom.

"Joanne!!!"

"Malika" She says with a weak smile.

I freeze for moment. I can't believe one of the sweetest women I know got into this horrible accident. When I was dating Jonas she treated me like her own daughter even after the break up she still considered me like a daughter.

"Dr. Thomas!!" One of the interns screams.

"Right let's get her checked and then headed to x-ray."

When we were checking her out. I notice some bruising on the side of her stomach so I ordered a portable x-ray and noticed there was some internal bleeding and needed to get her into an OR before it got worst.

As my interns were rushing her to the OR I hear someone calling my name.

"Malika" I turn to see Jonas.

"I heard my mom is here." He says with teary eyes.

"Yeah Jonas I'm about to operate on her."

He slides down against the wall with his head in his hands.

"NO! NO! NO! Why her?!?!" He screams out.

I couldn't just leave him there crying. No matter what Jonas has done I still care for him.

I pull him into a hug.

"I'm so sorry Jonas. But I am going to try my best in there to save her and make sure your mom is still in your life. Do you understand me?"

He nods. "Malika I'm sorry for the trouble I have been causing. I was just stuck on the past and didn't see that you moved on and that Jackson is an amazing guy for you."

"I accept your apology and we can talk more after surgery."

I go into the ER and wash up.

"Alright team. Let's save Ms. Joanne's life."

After she is under, I clean the area and cut her open. When I was able to get a clear sight of the problem I realized that her kidney was what was injured and causing the internal bleeding. We were about to start closing her up when we noticed another leak.

"Guys hold up we got another leak here."

I look up once I hear the machine start to beep franticly.

"I need more suction!"

"I'm trying it's just too much blood."

I guess I'm going to have to feel for the tear that's causing the leak.

"Doctor we're losing her!!"

"Can you give me a second of silence?!?"

The OR room becomes quiet the only thing that can be heard is the machine beeping.

I take a deep breath and feel for the tear. Once I find it I clog it with my finger.

"Can I get suction here?"