19. the bad boy's best friend

Picture is of Carter.

~
I hate projects. Especially partner projects. I've always got those partners who never do anything and let me do all the work. Then they take credit for my work.

          Which is why when Mrs. Smith, our communication study 7 teacher, announced to the class that we were going to be picking partners for a project, I cursed to myself.

          Other students cheered and gave knowing looks to their best friend.

          "You'll be picking partners from this apple of doom," Mrs. Smith tells the class, earning a few groan and sneers from some students. She holds up a clear red object in the shape of an apple with some folded slips of papers in it.

          "In this apple are names of countries. As you know, the project is a presentation on a country. Two of you will have the same country meaning you two are partners. Once you've picked a slip from this apple, tell the class your country and once someone picked the same country as you, you'll get together and research on that country. The laptops are in that cart." She points to the black cart by the door.

          "I'll start in the back." She walks to the back of the class and let Robert pick first.

          Since I sit in the front, it'll take awhile before its my turn.

          About 10 minutes later, Mrs. Smith approach me. It is finally my turn to pick from the apple of doom.

          She gives me a smile as I pick from the remaining three slips.

          Australia.

          "Australia." Mrs. Smith tells the class, but everyone is too busy getting together with their partners.

          She walks past me to the next person, Sara.

          Who has Australia? I forgot. My mind was completely blank earlier and I wasn't listening to others announcing their country.

          "Australia." Carter approach me, showing me his slip with the same country as mine. My face dropped a little remembering that Carter is one of Archer's best friend.

          I send him a quick smile as he sit down on the empty seat next to me.

          The bell rings an hour and a half later. Carter quickly gets up and follow after Sara. An hour and a half wasted.

          The whole entire class, Carter didn't do anything at all - scratch that. He did do something: Sara. I spent the entire class period begging him to focus on researching our country, but instead he used the time to research Sara.

          Good thing I got him to agree to meet me after school tomorrow at the library to continue our project.

          I just hope he's going to actually do his share of the project.

          -

          30 minutes.

          He is 30 minutes late and I'm still waiting for him. Where the heck is he? He better show up or else I'll talk to Mrs. Smith about switching partners. I won't be partnered with someone who doesn't give a rat's ass about their grades.