29. the good girl and the microphone

Sandy was not kidding. Tonight is the busiest night since I started working here. Of course, I only worked here for two days but it still is the busiest.

          It's only 8 and there's already a crowd of people gather in front of the mini-stage we set up. There's a guy currently singing Too Many Years on the stage as the crowd cheer him on.

          The bell on the counter ring, getting my attention. "Table 8," Chef Mick call out from the kitchen window. That's my table so I head towards the counter and grab the plate and the smoothie drink and head to table 8 which is in the middle of the diner.

          I place the drink and plate of french fries and sandwich on the table earning a thank you from the customer. I smile, "You're welcome." I head back to the counter.

          On my way to the counter, the door open revealing Carter and Jace. I stop in my track and glance at them. Carter and Jace grin at me and I smile back. I ignore them and walk to the counter.

          Why wasn't Archer with them? I guess he didn't come. The thought of Archer not coming here makes me feel relief yet sad at the same time. Why am I sad? I should be happy. He's not here.

          "Chloe!" Sandy call from behind the counter. I shake the thought from my head and walk to her.

          "Can you take out the trash? I still have to go serve a few tables and take orders. These people are getting on my every last nerve. How many food and drinks will be enough for them?" Sandy complain with a tired look. Her hands are currently occupy by a tray of plates and drinks. I chuckle at her misery.

          "Yes. Don't worry about it." I assure her and lift the counter so she could walk thru it. She does so and walk to the crowd of people singing along to the song.

          I walk behind the counter and into the kitchen door. Passing by Chef Mick and other cooks, I stop at the full trashcan and grab the top of the bag together and tie it. Next to the trashcan is two more bags. I grab those too and continue walking to the end of the kitchen with my hands full. I exit out the door that leads to an alley where the big trashcan is. The night engulf me.

          The only light is the one on top of the door. I walk further into the dark alley and that's when I realize someone is leaning against the wall. I can't tell who it is because their too far from the light. All I can see is their silhouette and the light on the cigarette in their mouth. Judging by the silhouette, it looks like a guy but I can't be sure.

          I walk towards the trashcan which is only a few feet away from the person leaning on the wall. That's when the person stand up straight and walk a few feet towards the light. I try to keep my eyes away but it travels to the person. The light reveals Archer. I almost jump in surprise but, luckily, I didn't.

          He stares at me with a blank expression. It's almost like he could careless. He takes out the cigarette from his mouth and exhale out a puff of smoke. Since when does he smoke? My grip on the bags tighten but I continue walking towards the trashcan. Once I reach it, I toss the bags over it and turn to walk away from him.

          I don't want to have anything to do with him. It's better this way. I hurry to go back inside.

         "You're cruel," Archer mutter behind me, his voice lace with venom. I stop in my track, unable to move. His words send shiver down my spine.

          I stay silent. I can't seem to say anything.

          "You're really cruel," I can hear him walking towards me. "You left without so much as a goodbye and suddenly you show up and avoid me like I'm some kind of plague." His words hit me hard. There's a sensation feeling in my heart and it's not a good feeling. It makes me weak and I feel like running away from here, from him. Still, I stay silent, clenching my jaw.