32. the bad boy's notes

"Thank you. Have a nice day," I say with a smile to the nice customers as they get up from their seats from the counter and leave.

I watch as they open the door of the diner and get out. To my surprise, Carter walks through the door and into the diner.

My smile drop and I watch as he notice me and walk towards me.

"What are you doing here? Don't tell me Archer told you to come spy on me." I cross my arm. Carter always do what Archer tell him to do. I'm starting to think he's Archer's minion.

Carter usually smile or laugh at my remarks and respond back with a remark of his own but this time is different. The depressing  expression on his face looks like someone died.

"Archer left, Chloe," Carter finally say. My face twist with confusion.

"What do you mean?"

"I don't know when he's coming back but it's serious this time. I don't know if you know this but his grandma is sick. She's been in the hospital in New York for a few weeks now. He's been going back and forth to New York and back to see you. Last night, his grandma got worse, heart disease."

I look at Carter with wide eyes, shock. I'm still trying to process the information he just told me.

That's why I haven't seen him these past days.

"He told me to give you this." Carter hand me a black box that he's been holding onto. It's a small  box about the size of Carter's hand.

I grab the box and hold onto it. Why is he giving me this? I stare at the box with curiosity. 

"Look," Carter begin, getting back my attention, "I don't know what's going on between the two of you but I really hope you two can get past this and get back together. I don't have to tell you how good you two are for each other. I know you can feel it when you're with him."

I gulp, remembering the times I was with Archer. The way he made me feel, like I was myself again, the real me.

My heart race everytime he laughs or smile. That damn smile.

"Table #9," Chef Mick call out, waking me out of my reverie. That's my table. I look behind the counter at the little window opening of the kitchen to see a plate with a sandwich cut in half on it.

"I'll let you get back to work," Carter say, turning my attention back to him. I nod my head. He give me a half force smile and walk out of the diner.

-

"See you tomorrow!" Sandy call out. I wave bye to her before opening the door of the diner and leave.

I walk to my car, open the door, and get in. I take off my bag from my shoulder and toss it over to the passenger side. A peek of the black box reminds me of Carter's visit this morning.

I reach over to take out the box and put it on my lap. My hand shakes as I put it on top of the box. There's an uneasy feeling in my heart. I don't know what to expect.

With one big breath in and out, I open the top of the box with my shaking hands, revealing a bunch of napkins folded up in half together.

I immediately recognize the small logo at the corner of the napkin. It's the diner's napkins.

With an uneasy heart, I grab the napkin out of the box and unfold it. The napkins are all stack together, one on top of the other like a stack of papers.