04. the bad boy's kiss

We all sit there awkwardly, avoiding each other's eyes.

"Where's Archer and Carter?" Rob ask the caramel haired boy who's name, I found out, is Jace.

"They're not hungry," he reply.

"Oh, this is Jace, my son. Melissa, Jace. Jace, Chloe," Rob introduce us.

"Your son?" I question. Why am I only finding out about this now?

"Yeah, didn't your mom tell you?"

I glance at mom and she sends me a sheepish smile.

"Of course I did! Chloe, you remember Jace, Rob's son, the one I told you about." Mom smile at me, trying to get me to play along with her.

I give in. "Right. I remember now."

"Okay. Let's eat," Rob announce. We all grab our utensils and start eating.

After we all finish eating, mom and Rob wanted to share something so Jace and I sit still in our seats waiting for them to speak.

Rob sends mom a knowing grin before they both announce out loud in sync, "We're getting married!"

I let out a sarcastic laugh, "You guys are hilarious."

They both look at me.

"Chloe. We're getting married. Rob proposed to me last week," mom explained.

My smile turned into a line as I stare at mom in disbelief.

Seconds past before I can finally register it into mind.

"B-but you can't. I can't," I tell mom in an angry tone. She stares at me in confusion.

"Jace?" Rob question him for an opinion since he's been quiet for a while now.

Jace looks at Rob with disbelief and hurt evident in his face.

Seconds pass before he finally spoke, "I can't believe you."

He suddenly gets up and walk out of the room in anger leaving everyone speechless.

Mom had mentioned to me before that Rob's late wife passed away due to cancer 10 years ago. That means Jace was 8 years old.

Even though dad passed away not too long ago, I can imagine what must be going through his mind - hurt, betrayal, and not being able to accept the fact that it's time to move on.

Silence fills the air.

"Chloe-" mom started but I cut her off by getting up from my seat and walking out of the room.

I can't do this. I can't just move on. It's only been two years. He was my dad. He's still my dad. I can't replace him. No one can replace my father.

She can't get married.

I know I'm being selfish but my dad will always be my dad.