Six

Sitting in the class for a second longer felt impossible. The weird feeling at the pit of my stomach just wouldn't fade. In fact I thought it was becoming stronger, making me feel as if I was slowly fading away. 

"Do you mind?" Eden whispered.

I looked at her, my brow raised. 

She pointed at my hand, making me realize my finger had been beating against the table for a while now. Guess my body had a mind of it's own. 

I smiled at her, silently apologizing. 

Her eyes scanned me longer than she usually did. 

It made me feel uneasy, avert my eyes from hers. No one had ever paid that much attention to me, not a real one that reached past my great acting skills.

"Hey," she said softly, placing a finger underneath my chin, moving my gaze back to hers.

Her eyes searched mine, while I tried to muster up a smile. 

Smiling had become quite hard thing for me to do lately. Something was just off. 

"Eden!" Mr. Lake said, making everyones heads snap to us. 

Edens finger was still underneath my chin, which resulted in whispers surrounding the room. 

"Yes, Mr. Lake?" Eden grinned at the teacher.

"Would you like to solve this example?" Mr. Lake smiled back.

"Sure," Eden replied.

Before she got up, her thumb grazed my lower lip. I smirked at her. As a reply she winked and went to the front of the class. 

The classmates were still staring at me, sending questioning glances my way. 

I raised my brow, challenging them to ask whatever they were thinking.

The class went on, with me zoning out as usual. It had become too frequent by now and I was growing quite impatient with myself. This wasn't like me.

"Babe, the class is over,"  Eden said, already back in her seat.

Wonder when she got back exactly. Was I really zoning out for that long?

"Let's go," I said, getting up from my seat.

"Mom's making her delicious bolognese pasta tonight, you better be there," Eden said, smiling at me. 

"You know the way to my heart," I smirked.

I heard the loud laughter from across the hallway. Tiff, Kevin and the rest of the gang was there. 

I didn't even bother going to Kevin. The fact that we hadn't been talking anywhere apart from school at days, completely skipped my mind. 

"Hey guys!" I smiled, "what's the occasion?"

"Just wanted to thank you for making me realize what's truly important," Tiff gave me a sugar sweet smile. 

I looked at Kevin questioningly, the players and cheerleaders going their own way and leaving us 4 alone. Something was going on.

"I'm glad I helped, Tiff," I smiled back at her, "mind stepping to the side? You're in the way."

Kevin was looking anywhere but at me. Coward.

Tiff took a step towards Kevin, her fingers intertwining with his. My eyes followed every little movement, not leaving their hands. 

I expected to be angry, sad, anything. But I felt empty, bad for them even, for what was to follow. Kevin would be destroyed.

Before Tiff could get the joy of breaking the news for me, I decided to be the bigger person.