Chapter 45

Katherine

"Red? Baby, you're awake. You're finally awake," Dylan choked out.

He hugged me, burying his face in my neck. My body protested, but having him hold me just felt good and right.

I felt his tears against my skin.

I raised my arms up, still feeling weak, but I needed to feel him in my arms.

"I'm okay," I said, my voice hoarse.

"I... I'm so sorry. I should have found you sooner. I..."

"Shh..." I said shaking my head. "No... baby, stop."

"No. I will never forgive myself for letting him..."

"Dylan, stop. Honey, look at me," I said.

I had to pause to regain my self.

My tears were continuously rolling down my face.

"Dylan, all I could think about was you. You gave me the strength I needed to fight," I swallowed the lump in my throat. "He didn't get to me. He didn't win."

He didn't win...

"He didn't break me," I said.

"He laid his hands on you and I could never forgive myself for that," Dylan said.

"He laid his hands on me because he was weak and he couldn't break me. It angered him that he couldn't break me and bend me to his will. Dylan can't you see, all of these bruises, they will heal. These are just bruises. He didn't break me," I said again. "Not here," I said, holding my hand to my chest. "Not where it matters."

Dylan brought my hand up to his lips, before kissing me on the lips.

"You really scared me..."

I giggled, but it sounded more like a sob. "For a moment I thought I was never going to see you again."

"He will never hurt you again."

"He's going away for along time right?"

"He's going away forever," he said.

I frowned in confusion.

"He's dead, Red. He can never hurt you again."

"He is?"

He nodded. "Apparently his cell mate was the brother of one of the women he raped and murdered. He killed him, but not before he made him suffer."

"He's really gone..." I said, relieved that he can never harm me or anyone ever again.

Dylan nodded. "You really are safe. All of us are."

"I love you so much, Dyl."

"I love you. You have no idea how scared I've been. The past few weeks has been the longest weeks of my life. I wanted you to wake up so badly..."

"I heard you..." I said softly.

He frowned.

"I heard every word that you said to me. I wanted to wake up, to see you, but no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't. My body wouldn't let me. But I heard every word you said."

"I'm glad you did, because I needed you to hear me so that you'd come back to me."

I smiled. "No matter how far I go, I will always come back to you," I said. "I could never leave you... I won't ever leave you. Never by choice," I said, knowing how I've hurt and failed Dylan in the past. I need him to know that I meant it last time when I said that I would never choose to leave him. Never again.

The tears that shone in Dylan's eyes tore at me.

"I love you so much..." he said as tears sweet streaming down his face, breaking my heart. "I have never loved anyone as much as I love you. I'd follow you anywhere you go," he said.

And somehow I knew what he meant.

The thought made me realize, that I would do the same. Of course I would. He is my heart and my life. I wouldn't survive it if I lost him.

I pulled him down for a searing kiss.

He pulled back and rested his forehead against mine.

"I should really get the nurse to check on you," he said.

I shook my head. "You're all I need," I said. "Come. Lay down beside me," I said, scooting over and ignoring the muscles protesting.

He shook his head. "I don't want to hurt you."

"Don't be silly. You won't. Come up here. Please?"

"Ok," he relented.

He moves next to me. I wait for him to settle down, before moving closer to him, resting my head on his chest.

"How bad do I look?" I asked.

"You look like the one who owns my heart and soul," he said, before placing a kiss on the top of my head.

I smiled against him. "I love you, Dylan. Thank you for not giving up on me."

If he had given up on me a long time ago, I wouldn't be this happy. If I had succeeded in pushing him away, I'd still be lost, and living in the past.

"I love you too. Thank you for finally giving me a chance at loving you."

I smiled.

I closed my eyes and savoured the feeling of being in Dylan's arms.

It didn't take long and I listened to the steady beating of his heart, telling me that he has fallen asleep.

I looked up at him, and for the first time, everything is so clear. No more fears or doubts. I am finally right where I belong.

I am Katherine West and I belong with the one who broke through my walls and taught me what love truly means. It is giving, selfless, and unconditional. It is about giving yourself to someone and becoming one.

I look up at Dylan once again and smiled as excitement filled me.

This is only the beginning of our wonderful life together.