Chapter 6

Katherine

"Hey, Kat. So how did the meeting go with your client yesterday?" Jas asked.

"It went well. I'm meeting him this morning to look at the venue."

"You still haven't told me who your new client is," Jas said.

"It's Dylan Anastasi," I said.

Her eyes widened and jaw dropped.

"The Dylan Anastasi? The billionaire?" She almost squeaked out.

I nodded.

"Are you freaking serious? Oh my god. So does he look as good in person as he does on TV and magazines?" She asked. "Is he nice? Or is he arrogant? Is he..."

"Jeez, Jas, breathe will you," I joked.

"Tell me!" She demanded.

"He's..." I frowned. "He's high handed," I said. "I don't like him one bit," I scrunched my nose in distaste.

Jas grinned. "You so like him," she said. "You more than like him!" She accused.

"What? Don't be ridiculous!" I protested.

"Uhuh. Sure."

"I don't," I said again.

"Sure... Deny it all you want," she remarked.

I rolled my eyes at her, and poured myself some coffee.

"So what time are you meeting him?" She asked.

"He should be here in about an hour The arrogant excuse of a man, insisted on picking me up. He said it didn't make sense for us to drive in two separate cars when we're going to the same destination."

"He has a point."

I scowled at her.

She laughed. "Will you loosen up, Kat."

"Jas..." I groaned.

"Katherine I've known you for how many years now? I know that you're independent and how you like to keep in control of your life," she muttered. "When you moved here in LA, I thought geez you're finally going to a city where you can actually have fun. See the world and life for what it is. When I made the move here a few months ago I thought you have made friends and you've been having fun seeing the city, but you haven't changed. You're still..."

"Boring?" I offered.

She shook her head. "Scared," she said instead.  "You're still living in fear. I know that you and your mom had a hard life before moving to the small town where I came from, but Kat it's been a long time. You can't keep living in fear of I don't even know what. I haven't pushed you to share your past because I know it's too painful and hard for you, but can't you at least leave it all there? In the past?"

I looked at her not knowing what to say.

"Kat, you deserve to be happy. You deserve to live and enjoy your life."

"I am happy," I said.

"Are you?" She retorted.

"Jas, I... This is who I am," I said.

"No it's not," she disagreed. "That's who you've convinced yourself you need to be," she said sadly.

I opened my mouth to protest and deny what she said, but nothing came out.

"I should go," she said.  "I'm gonna be late."

I nodded.

"I love you, Kat. And I only want the best for you. I want you to be happy," she said.