Chapter 5

Dylan

"Dyl, won't you come and help me with this please," my mom said, as she pointed to the pies in front of her.

"Sure, mom. Are these for the preschool?" I asked.

She smiled and nodded. "A bunch of them are graduating and they requested pie as a graduation present."

I smiled. My mom and her preschool/daycare has been up and running for over 25 years. A knowledge that all of us, especially my dad has been very proud of.

My mom started running Lil" House over 25 years ago to fulfill her dream of having her own early childhood education centre where she can help make a difference in children's lives. She never thought that it would be so successful and that the demand would be so high that she'd have to open a few more branches all over America, and now the world.

Her influence on children's education is well-known and greatly admired.

"How's everything going with your latest construction, honey?" My mom asked, interrupting my thoughts.

"It's been great. I'm trying to get Uncle Ethan's opinion though on this property I'm trying to acquire in Miami," I said. "I plan on building a high rise. The location is perfect and I think the prize tag on the property is just right, but I just don't know if I should jump the gun so soon or wait until this development I'm working on right now is done."

My mom smiled at me. "Honey, you've always been good at what you do. If you were to ask me, I want you to focus on this one because you work too hard, and if you take on another project on top of everything else. then I'm afraid I won't see you until an eternity has passed," she sighed.

I laughed. "Mom, I'm here every night," I said.

"For 5 minutes," she rolled her eyes.

I chucked. "More like an hour," I said.

"On your good days," she retorted.

I laughed. "I'll try to extend my visits then," I said and kissed my mom on her cheek.

"That's not the only reason, honey. You really do work too hard and I want you to take better care of yourself," she admonished. "When was the last time you had at least eight hours of sleep?" She asked.

"Mom, I'm fine. I get enough."

She looked at me with her, "don't even try it look," making me feel like a child all over again.

She sighed. "You're a lot like your father. So stubborn."

I grinned.

"I'm proud of you, Dylan and everything you've accomplished at such a young age. You and your brothers and sisters are your Dad and I's pride and joy."

I smiled at my mom and hugged her to me. "I know. We're really lucky to have you two as our mom and dad."

My mom squeezed me back.

Dyllie!" I heard my sister exclaim, interrupting our little heart to heart talk.

"This is why I don't stay longer than necessary," I joked.

My mom rolled her eyes, knowing I was full of it, because she knows how much I love my brothers and sisters. She also knows that Katie and I have a strong bond.

"Hey brat," I said, hugging her. "Where have you been?"

"I was at Aunt Liv's studio helping out. One of her instructor phoned in sick last minute so she asked me to step in," she said.

"Hi mom," she then greeted my mom with a kiss on her cheek.

"Hi baby. Are you hungry?" She asked.