56. She really has you for good!

Dearest Readers!

I totally love you all for voting, fan-ing , commenting and adding my story to your reading lists.

A big THANK YOU to you all! 

                                                        +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+ 

Hermione was sitting at the kitchen table at the Burrow and watched Mrs. Weasley making sandwiches. The mug of tea before her had refilled itself three times already, but for some strange reason she felt too contend to talk in the moment. Her hostess didn't push her.

Her thoughts were wandering. She glanced at the small, simple golden band that was now on the ring finger of her left hand. It looked so delicate. She smiled to herself. He had proposed to her. Again. Though this time he had done it the time honour way and had been bending his knee before her. A grin spread over her features as she thought of Harry who had been sitting not ten feet away from them, fast asleep. She could only hope that Kreacher had got rid of the burn marks on the walls and restored the pieces of china back to its vase shape. It had been a bit volatile them making-up at first. Luckily she had missed him with that nasty...

"...will be here for lunch. He says that Alicia thinks, he's working too much and should take a lunch break away from the shop ever now and then."

She blinked. Mrs. Weasley had actually been talking to her instead of just humming to herself as she had done for most of the morning.

"Sorry, I was a bit..."

"...lost in thoughts?" The older witch gave her a motherly smile. "You must have a lot to think about right now."

"Yes." Hermione sighed.

Delicious looking food was placed before her together with several glasses of different chutneys and relishes.

"So, how are you these days, dear?"

Molly Weasley was surveying the face of the girl before her. She could see the happiness in her eyes, but there was also a lot of worry.

"I'm okay."

The sound that was used as an answer to this announcement told her that she was still unable to lie to the people that really knew her. She sighed.

"Draco and I are engaged to be married. He asked me properly, on his knees, the other day." She held up her left hand to show her friend's mother the simple ring she was wearing.

"But?"

"I want to marry him. There is nothing I want to do more than that, but I'm scared."

"Of what, dear? He seems to have changed quite a bit. Otherwise I don't think you would be engaged to him."

"No. You're right. He has changed and when I look at him I see somebody I could have been friends with for years. He's really smart and funny. I can talk to him about anything. He never laughs at me or makes me feel stupid. He's kind and gentle." She blushed.

"Though it feels like giving up your identity with your name."

She nodded.

"When Arthur and I were courting times were hard. Voldemort was on the rise but not a threat as yet, but the writing was on the wall. We all knew that something bad would be coming and soon. So we decided to just elope. My parents were horrified when they found out, but I never regretted that decision. I knew that Arthur was the right man for me."

"How long had you two...," she blushed, "sorry, I didn't want to..."

A warm hand was placed over her own.

"We had been a couple since fourth year. That is how I knew that we were meant to be together."

"I have been with Draco only three months."

"You're having his baby."

Hermione ran her fingers over her tummy. Yes, she was carrying his baby.

"What's it like to be married?" being only twenty she found her imagination a bit limited in this direction.

"It's like being at home."

That was not an answer she would have expected. "Like being at home?"

"You feel at peace when your husband is around. There might be rows and fights, but it's like a window or door breaking in a house, it's not a disaster, it can be repaired. You will always find shelter and support in your home. Love is keeping it warm even in the coldest winter." she smiled as if remembering something, "When you are getting married it's like moving into a new house. It takes a while to get used to it with all its little quirks and oddities. Take the time to explore all its many rooms that are the soul of your young man." There was a twinkling in her eyes. "I suspect there will be quite a few in his case."

They were silent for a moment.

"Have you told Ginny all of this when she got engaged to Harry?"

"No, dear. I didn't need to. Their relationship is a lot less complicated than the one between you and young Malfoy. Maybe you'll have a lot more fun with the discovery part than they will, but they won't have the doubts that might be invading your over active mind." she smiled warmly before continuing, "Don't be afraid, Hermione. Just follow your heart."

'My heart?' she thought. It was telling her that there was no one else who she would ever love just the way she loved her dragon. She smiled.

"See, dear."