Chapter Twenty-eight: After Party

After our little encounter at the Grammys everything was back to normal. We sat down and talked about everything Dre apologized for what he said and I apologized for throwing his past in his face. We seriously need to work on better communication skills. We can't keep having sex everywhere after every time we get into an argument, someone might catch us.

We need to learn how to actually talk out our problems without involving sex. But on the bright side I won the best R&B album of the year! Dre didn't win the rap album though Em won instead but it's still a win for us cause Dre wrote and produced on it.

We're back at the house in the yard since Dre wanted to have like a little after party here instead of a big label one. I like his idea though it's more intimate and you don't have to worry about paparazzi and you can just have fun and let your hair down. Everyone was outside in the back eating and drinking when I heard mommy call me from the kitchen.

"Yes mommy?" I asked walking inside

"Congratulations little girl." She said making me laugh a little

"Thank you"

"I'm so proud of you Toni. You know when you first started this whole music thing. I was so afraid for you." She admitted

"Why mommy? I'm perfectly fine you and daddy were here for me every step of the way."

"I thought the industry would change you. I thought people would get into your head and have you not be the person I raised you to be I thought you wouldn't be happy because you would always be so busy trying to please everyone else."

"You know ma, when I released my first two albums I was starting to become like that trying to please the label and trying to keep y'all happy. I never took the time to actually enjoy my success. After I had to file for bankruptcy it woke me up. I'm doing what makes me happy now."

"Yes you are and I'm proud of you I've haven't seen you this happy since you first got signed. Ten years later here you are stronger than ever doing what you love to do, getting the recognition and the money you deserve, and you found a man that seems to adore you."

"I love him ma I really do."

"I can see that and he loves you too you deserve this baby and more so enjoy it."

She hugged me tightly and wouldn't let go. "What's going on with mommy why she being so sentimental all of sudden?" I thought to myself

"What y'all in here talking about?" Dre asked stepping in the kitchen from outside

"You." Toni said as they finished hugging

"Oh word? Good things I hope." He said walking up behind Toni and pressing his body against hers with one hand on her hip and placing the other on top of her thigh. "What you drinkin? Gimme some"

Rolling her eyes she handed Dre her red solo cup. "Thank youuu" he sung in her ear

"Mhm"

Evelyn stood and watched the two interact. She watched as Toni didn't try to correct her posture or even push Dre away. She just stayed there comfortable and content in his arms. Dre whispered something in her ear making her laugh

"Y'all are so cute" Evelyn said "You know you two remind me a lot of when me and your father first got together."

"Oh my goodness." Toni said

"What?" She asked

"This is the first time you haven't called daddy a sperm donor in like six months. Wow mom I'm proud of you." Toni said as Dre let out a small laugh behind her