I sit in the living room watching a sitcom when my uncle walks in the door, a drained expression. He throws his satchel into the chair and groans loudly. "Where is Jas?" He asks and at that time, my cousin walks into the room. He won't talk to me, and I stopped trying, the only thing I got out of him was more stuff that made me want to die. "Uh, your grounded for a week for the simple fact that you are suspended. You're not grounded long because you stood up for yourself, congrats, but you're an idiot." He say and holds out his hand. "Phone, sir." He says and Jas scowls and hands over his phone.

I just look back to the TV as Jasper plops himself down in the couch beside me. "This is stupid, why do you watch it?" He asks me and I hand him the remote and walk to my room. He just looks at me with his mouth hanging open

"Molls, are you okay?" My uncle asks and I nod.

"Yeah, I think I'm gonna go out for a while." I say and quickly jog down my stairs.

I pick up my shoes and slip them on. I grab a jacket and some money and go back upstairs.

"You sure you're okay? Meeting any friends or anyone?" My uncle asks.

"Nah, I figured I'd chill by myself for a while." I say and shrug. I walk out the door and put my ear buds in and shut the world out.
-
"Uh, I'll get the red velvet cupcake, please." I say to the lady and she nods. I stand there as she sets the cupcake on a small plate and hands it to me. I walk to the farthest booth. Which is also placed in front of a window that has an amazing view of the city.

Took me an hour to get here and I'm not regretting an of it. The little bakery sits on the edge of a hill next to other shops, but this one has the perfect view of the sunset and the big beach.

"Man, beautiful view, right?" I hear and I frown, turning, and all the color drains from my face. He sits down across from me and signs, looking out the window. "Reminds me of San Francisco." He says. "Not that they look alike, far from it. Just water and water, that's it. Sends me on a nostalgic trip." He says and looks at me. "Don't live in big cities, they steal your heart and then it's hard to leave."

"Why are you talking to me?" I ask him and he shakes his head. The resemblance between us is hard to miss, and I hate it.

"I don't know, I saw you sitting in here and I thought I'd come in. I have to man up and face my problems eventually." He says.

"After so many years, you think now is the best time? This is far from a good time, or a decent time." I say in a rude tone and he nods.

"I know." He says. "I wasn't going to, but you look so much like your mother, I had to."

"Why did you do it to her? I could care less if I have a father, I don't need one. But why break her that way?"

"I wasn't ready, and she was, so I ran. I was a coward, I didn't want kids yet, I was so young and I had a life I wanted to live before I completely settled. We were going to travel, but she got pregnant. I knew she wouldn't need me, so I ran, she was more independent that I realized. She was so strong." He says.

"But she wasn't strong, she wasn't. I had to watch her fight off being unhappy because of you, and then I had to watch her die. She wasn't so strong then and she needed you." I say in an angry but quiet tone so I wouldn't draw attention to us.

"I was there." He says softly. "I went to see her and... and you're right. You're right, Molly, she wasn't as strong as I thought." He says and I feel my throat begin to tighten and tears rush to my eyes. I turn away and blink several times. "She'll always be stronger than I am. Even now." He says and his voice cracks, causing a tear to roll down my cheeks and I wipe them away just as fast as they appear. "I was there an hour before she died." He say and tears appear in his eyes.