Chapter 27

"Hey," I said as I knocked on the door frame of Grant's hospital room.

"Hey," he smiled back.

I walked into his room and sat in the chair next to his bed and grabbed his hand. I interlocked my hand with his.

"How are feeling?" I asked.

"I'm okay," he responded. "I'm still a little sore and I wish I could have some real actual food right now. I would kill for a cheeseburger right about now."

I let out a little laugh.

"You'll get that cheeseburger soon enough," I said.

I gave him a kiss on the forehead. This was it. I need to tell him that I am the match.

"So, I heard that they found you a match," I said.

"Yeah, I am pretty ecstatic. I wish I could meet this person. They are truly changing my life," He beamed.

This was it. I had to tell him now, no matter how nervous I was. He needed to hear it.

"Yeah about that, Grant I am actually your match. The doctor just told me." I exclaimed.

"You have got to be joking right," he scoffed.

I shook my head.

"Becca, there is no way that I am taking part of your liver. I am not going to be the reason you only have half a liver." He shouted.

"The part that they take out regenerates back." I told him.

"I don't care with it grows back you are not risking your life for me." He rebutted.

"I am doing this for you because I love you and I don't want to experience a world without Grant Perkins. You have a bright future ahead of you and you are going back to accomplish so many amazing things." I exclaimed. "I love you to much to see this happen to you and if I can doing something about, you'll be damn sure I will do something about it."

"Becca, I'm not letting you do this. It's not happening. I'd rather wait for another donor. You're my girlfriend, not my organ bank." He responded.

"There could be a chance that they don't find another match. I'd rather not be your girlfriend so I can be your donor than watch you get worse your even die. I can't do that." I yelled.

"Well then, if your so set on being my organ donor then maybe you shouldn't be my girlfriends!" He shouted back.

"Maybe your right, maybe I should be your girlfriend. You're getting part of my liver and we are no longer a couple." I blurted.

With that I left the room and kept walking until I reached Dr. King's office.

I knocked on the door.

"Come on in," he said.

I opened the door and walked into his office.

"Becca, I was just going to ask a nurse to go and find you. I gotta your test results back. We have the green light and we can go ahead with the operation."

I smiled.

"That is great news," I said.

"Now, I wanna ask you, are you absolutely sure you want to go through with this operation?"

I nodded.

"Yes, of course. Grant needs this and I am beyond happy to to do this for him." I said.

I choked back tears. My heart already hurt. I missed Grant and I hadn't even left the building.

"That is excellent. So I was thinking of scheduling the surgery for the day after tomorrow. You will come in tomorrow afternoon for check in and stay the night. The surgery will start at 8:45 the next day.

I only nodded.

"Great. I'll see you tomorrow afternoon. You are doing a great thing Becca. Giving Grant a second a chance at life.

I smiled at him.

"I'll see you tomorrow, Dr. King." I said.

As soon as I left his office, tears poured out of eyes. It blurred my visions. Grant was being so stubborn. Why couldn't he see that I was trying to help him? Frustrated I left the hospital and drove in. I had to somehow explain to my parents I signed up for a live liver donation surgery to save Grant.