Chapter 29 - December 18/19th, 2017

December 18th.

SO… something interesting happened. We got a call from Sian’s doctor, saying we need to come in and test out this new medication. It’s supposed to repair hearing after brain trauma, and he thinks it will work for Sian. Of course, we have a say in whether we try it or not, considering it’s a new drug, and has some side effects. But we asked Sian what she thought, and we told her she might have a headache for the first few days, and it might make her dizzy, and it might not work. She said she wanted to try it anyway, because she wants to hear again. So, of course, we took her in. we got the medication today, but we haven’t given it to her yet. I’m super nervous, but excited. Sian’s off school for Christmas break, so I think I’ll go give it to her now.. Since school isn’t an issue. Here we go!

December 19th.

Day two of Sian’s new medication… oh my gosh. This poor kid.. She’s crying because she doesn’t want another headache like she got last night. I felt SO bad for her. Her head hurt so bad she was crying, and throwing up. I called her doctor and he said that every time she took another pill, the side effects would be less and less until they disappeared, and that what happened was normal. I told Sian this, but she’s still scared. But I remind her it’s going to help her hear again. The doctor said that by Christmas, she should be able to notice a significant increase in sound. And he said if all goes well, by summer, she should be able to hear like everyone else. I don’t tell Sian this. Because I don’t want to get her hopes up. I mean, it is 2017, but I still don’t believe that medicine can do God’s job. I guess you can say I’m not so sure about this whole thing, because it’s too good to be true. Maybe I just forget what hope feels like.