15. Red eyes

"Tyler," my voice is a whisper.

I look into the fuming eyes of my mate. All of the air has left my lungs. Suddenly Russell pulls me behind him and straightens his posture.

"Do you know this guy?" He turns his head to whisper at me.

Tyler takes another step towards us, a low growl vibrating through his muscular chest. Tension laces the air around us.

"Wait, stop. It's okay," I say quickly as I move out from behind Russell. My wolf races circles in my stomach at the site of my mate. Russell laces an arm around my waist and pulls me back.

"Are you sure? He looks dangerous."

I brush him off, stepping closer to Tyler.

He stands taller than I remember. His eyes are locked on mine and dark browns swirl through them. His face is cold and intimidating. I slowly walk up to him.

I get close enough to smell his sweet vanilla scent and reach a delicate hand up to place it on his toned cheek.

"Tyler?" I whisper out again. He blinks twice, his neck craning to see me. Then I watch as his eyes change from cold and hard to soft and loving. He pulls me into his embrace.

I let out a happy sob as I hug him back with the same intensity.

"Alex!" He breathes out into my hair as he squeezes me hard.

"I thought you were dead!" He finally releases me, his hands holding onto mine.

"No. I'm okay," I wipe a stray tear from my cheek.

"Did he hurt you?" He furrows his brows, pulling my arms up to search me for any marks.

I shake my head, resting my hand on his cheek again.

"How did you get out? Where were you going? Is Liam looking for you? I'll protect you." He blurted out all at once.

We are disrupted by the loud sound of Russell clearing his throat from behind us. Tyler's eyes snap up to him and his features harden.

"Sorry to ruin the mushy stuff, but we have to be going, Al." Russell states, his arms are crossed over his chest as he leans against a tree.

"You're not going anywhere with her, buddy." Tyler grabs my hand.

"Oh yeah? It's me who got her out of that prison and it's going to be me who makes sure she's safely out of Liam's reach." He pushes off of the tree, stepping closer to Tyler.

Testosterone is thick in these woods.

"Come one step closer and I swear-" Tyler begins.

"Boys!" I cut him off with my hands in between their chests. "I'm not going with anyone until I see Addison!" I harshly say, looking them both in the eye.

"Okay." Russell says cheerfully as he straightens up. He turns and starts down the path, crunching the colorful fallen autumn leaves as he walks.

I start to follow after him but my wrist is grabbed by Tyler.

"How do you know you can trust him?" He furrows his brows. I pause, thinking of the reasons why I should trust this guy that I barely know.

"He got me out of Liam's, didn't he?" I shrug as I start after Russell.

We walk for about thirty more minutes until we finally run into a small grey brick cottage in the woods. Russell walks right up to the front door and pushes it open.

Anticipation builds in my stomach as I place both feet on the creaky porch.

I pause on the doorstep as Tyler grabs my arm again.