13. Try me

Liam's eyes are a cold blue as he picks me up and carries me over to a booth on the far side of the ballroom. He gently lays me down onto the white leather then places his cold hands on both sides of my face. He looks into my eyes with a frown.

"You drank the ambrosia, didn't you?" His face remains cold.

My vision comes in and out of focus. I sit in the booth trying to regain my composure. Embarrassment flows over me from the scene I just caused.

I can still hear the sauce-covered woman in the distance shrieking.

Liam hears her too. "Now look what you've done," He mutters under his breath as he rolls his eyes before standing up to approach her.

Immediately after Liam is out of view, Russell approaches me. He bends down to my level and shoves a cool glass of water into my hands. I take a small sip and wince at the bitter drink.

"What is it?" I say making a face.

"It'll help." He says as he turns around to make sure Liam isn't looking, "You must've tried one of the special drinks from the bar," he chuckles.

"What the hell is ambrosia anyways?" I scoff as I take another uneasy sip of the tangy water.

"Come on. We should get out of here." Russell ignores my question, reaching his hand out to me.

"Go? Go where?" I allow him to help me to my feet.

"Away from here." He looks back towards Liam once more.

Blood rushes to my head, causing my vision to run dark for a second. I shake my head from side to side to snap myself out of it. I take another big gulp of the water before setting it down on the table.

Russell wraps his hand around mine and pulls me towards the door. I look back and see the devilish vampire talking to the angry lady, not knowing of my escape. She motions to her dress and Liam holds back a smile as he tries to reassure her.

Russell leads me out of the ballroom and down the hallway.

"Where are you taking me?" I finally stop, pulling my hand from his.

"We have to leave this house... after I do something. But It's full of vampires." He states, his eyes searching the halls anxiously. He reaches for my hand again.

"I know that's why I'm here," I state in confusion, "Why are you here?"

He was a rogue, very dangerous at that. Why would he come to a vampire's house? Liam had mentioned that Aubrey was being "dealt with". Maybe he is here to rescue her or something?

But why would a werewolf be handling affairs for a vampire. A pureblooded one at that.

"I have... business to take care of. Speaking of the matter, wait here and I will be back in thirty minutes." He says mysteriously, fixing his collar.

"No way." I stammer. "You just dragged me out of that party to leave me here?"

He starts walking away "I'll be back Alex," He says over his shoulder.

I let out a groan.

I stand in the hallway for a moment. My mind floats back to escape. Where's Tyler? Had he given up on the search for me? Something about escaping with Russell makes me uneasy. He did leave me in the woods. He isn't trustworthy.

I finally decide that I should go back to the party before Liam notices my absence and comes looking for me. Whatever Russell was up to, he didn't want Liam to know he was here.

I slip back into the ballroom and grab a small appetizer from one of the trays. It is a thin cracker with a white spread and some sort of meat on it.