11. Addison

My leg bounces up and down as I sit on the grey bed. Nobody has been here to let me out of this cage in hours. Does Liam expect me to just rot in a single bedroom for the rest of my life?

In order for me to properly escape, I need to find out where Liam is holding Addison. Then I need to retrieve her and navigate myself out of this maze.

The sun is setting outside of the small window in my room. Vibrant colors paint the sky as I continue to huff in frustration.

The door to the room suddenly cracks open. A man with curly orange hair pulls the door wide open. This must be the guard that was posted outside of my door.

The guard straightens his posture and then clears his throat.

"Dinner is being served in the dining hall and your presence is requested."

I let out a hefty laugh.

"I'm good."

"Your presence is mandatory, ma'am." He breathes out through his nose, clearly annoyed that he got assigned to watch the hybrid in the first place.

I wonder to myself if he is also a vampire. His skin is slightly too pale. The freckles that dot his nose are dull. His eyes are a lifeless grey.

"Tell Liam that I do not wish to join him." I snort out, crossing my arms like a child.

The guard does not take no for an answer. Instead he moves into my room and roughly grabs me by the elbow. He drags me out of the room as I try to kick and scratch him. He does not look at me again until we reach the unused dining room. He chunks me into a wooden chair and then walks away.

"Well that was quite a show." I hear a familiar voice from across the table, causing me to jump.

I press my lips firmly together before turning to face him. Liam sits directly across from me holding a metal fork between his fingers. At the end of the fork is a small sliver of chicken.

Separating us is an array of ivory candles that burn brightly. A plate of food is set in front of me, drawing my attention away from Liam.

I refuse to look at him right now. I want to forget his stupid face. And no, I didn't notice that he changed into a black shirt. I didn't notice the disarray that his hair has become since we last spoke. The silver chain that dangles from his neck.

I just stare at my food.

On the white plate is chicken, chopped potatoes, fresh green beans, and a steaming roll of bread. Next to the plate is a small glass of wine I think.

I don't touch the fork next to the plate. I don't want to eat. Not when Addison is suffering alone. I wonder if she is getting to eat like me. I refuse to believe that Liam is truly keeping her in a cell like in my dream. If he can create a fake forest, he can create a fake cell.

He isn't that cruel. Is he?

"Is your bedroom to your liking?" He speaks again to break the silence.

I drag my eyes up to meet his. He grabs his glass and takes a slow sip of the red liquid.

"I will need a change of clothes." I stare at him blankly.

He nods. "Someone is filling the dresser with clothes as we speak."

My lips part.

I look back down at my food. The chicken smells really good, causing my stomach to rumble as I think of the apple I ate years ago.

"Are you going to eat?" His tone drops. I snap my eyes back up to him.

Is this a challenge? If it is, my hunger strike will surely last past one meal.