Enjoying Each Other's Company

JAY POV

       I watched Elizabeth do her work with Ariana. She was taking her measurements and making sure her dresses fit and designing new clothes for her. I stayed behind the door so she wouldn’t see me. Ariana and I decided that she would go in first and I would come in later and pretend to be surprised that Elizabeth was there. She was so beautiful. She waltzed gracefully around the room getting supplies. “This fabric would look absolutely amazing on you”, she said smiling to herself. Her blond hair was in a messy bun on top of her head and she was wearing a pretty floral dress that went up to her knee. I couldn’t help but watch her do her work. She measured Ari’s waistline and sowed two pieces of fabric together. “So, are you ready for that date”, Ari asked, raising her arms for Alexis.

“I’m nervous and I look like a wreck. He seems so sweet and I don’t want to bomb this, you know”, she said writing a measurement on her journal. I smiled to myself that she would think that I could stop liking her. “So what do you like about him”, Ari asked looking pointedly at me. She stopped writing and looked at the wall in deep thought. I waited for her to speak. “Um, I don’t know. It’s just that he really seems to care about me, you know? He listens to me and doesn’t just zone out like all the other boys. He’s different than the other people I’ve dated. He actually pays attention. He looks so familiar though, but I just can’t put my finger on it”, she said, blushing. Ariana grinned at her, “Sounds like a keeper”. Alexis nodded and smiled. “So is that what you’re going to wear for your date”, Ari asked. Alexis nodded and smiled, “But my hair looks like a wreck and my face is probably a raccoon”. Ari laughed. I thought Liz looked beautiful the way she is; even with her blond hair in a messy bun and no makeup. I just shrugged and let it go. “Well, hurry up, so I can do your makeup and hair”, Ari said smiling. Elizabeth beamed, “You’d do that for me”? Ariana rolled her eyes, “That’s what BFFs are for, silly! And plus I owe you for always giving me outfits for my dates with Nathan”. She laughed and quickly took the rest of the measurements. 

“Ok, so I think I’ll start designing some outfits for you then I’ll come to your house next week then show you them. Then I’ll make the ones you like, k?” Elizabeth asked, putting all of her things in her bag. Ariana nodded, “Now get into that seat right there”. Liz laughed and jumped into the seat. Ari picked up Elizabeth’s phone and blasted some music. There was a mirror in front of the chair so that Liz could see herself. Ari got a bag of makeup supplies and a curling iron.

“Wait, one more thing”, Ari said and walked to me behind the door. “It should be a surprise”, Ari whispered and shut the door on me so I couldn’t see the beautiful Elizabeth.

ELIZABETH’S POV

 “CAUSE BABY YOU’RE A FIREWORK”, we sang loudly together, laughing. I stopped myself from laughing at them because we were using hairbrushes as microphones.

Ari started putting concealer on me and covered some of my blemishes, then foundation. She then started to put eye primer, a silver eye shadow. “So I’m going for not trying too hard, but way beautiful look. So like no too much”. I laughed and lowered my eye lids so she could put eyeliner. I then looked up so that she could mascara. She then put bronzer and blushes on me. I opened my eyes and looked at myself. I liked what my BFF did. She used brown eyeliner so it looked natural and my blond lashes looked big, making my gray eyes look huge. I smiled at her and she laughed but then frowned, “One more thing”, she said and searched her bag for something. She pulled out a light pink lip stain and dabbed it on my lips. 

She smiled at her work, “Voi la, you look gorgeous”. I laughed, “I love you so, so, so much, Ari”. She smiled, “I know you do”. The music changed to Gas Pedal and we screamed. “SLOW DOWN”, she yelled. Then I yelled, “GRAB THE WALL”! We both yelled, “WIGGLE LIKE YO TRYNA MAKE YO A** FALL OFF”. We went to a wall and twerked together, laughing. We got off the wall and started strutting around the room, “And I think I want to smash them all like”, I yelled. Ari laughed, “Speed up; gas pedal gas pedal gas pedal gas pedal”!

We laughed so hard together while the song continued. I was reminded of when we were in fifth grade at a sleepover and we were dancing around and doing each other’s makeup. It has been such a long time from then. I sat back on the chair and Ari started taking out my hair from the high bun. It took quite a while and she almost broke the brush trying to take out all the tangles, “Girl, you need to brush your hair”, she laughed. I laughed with her and finally my hair was straight. She started curling pieces of my hair and parted it in the middle. I opened my eyes when she told me and I stared at myself in the mirror and smiled. “You like”, Ari asked beaming. I looked at her through the mirror, “Love”. 

We danced around the room trying on different clothes with different songs. We played with different boas and sunglasses. Finally we got serious and looked for something for me to wear. After many clothes, we finally found the perfect one. I put it on and looked at myself in the mirror. I was wearing a floral dress that ended five inches above my knee. I had a white jean vest that was open and ballet flats. I smiled at Ari through the mirror and she beamed at her work. She pretended that she was about to cry, “My baby is growing up”. I laughed at her and hugged her, “You’re the best you know”. She laughed, “I know”. 

She had changed from her t-shirt and jeans to something I told her to wear. She came out with a black tank top, a red varsity jacket that was buttoned halfway so you could see the tank top, dark washed ripped short shorts, and a chevron necklace. She also had an infinity bracelet a silver ring and knee high converse. She did her makeup and that when I noticed something on her neck, “Is that a hickey I see?” I smirked. She blushed madly and looked down, “Maybe”. I laughed at her, “That Nathan guy must be really fond of you”. She blushed again. 

I laughed at her but then turned serious, “Are you happy with him?” Of course I want the best for my best friend. She seems way more happy ever since they started dating but for all I know it could be a trick. She smiled, “He’s the sweetest”. I rolled my eyes, “If he breaks your heart, you know where to find me. He’ll wake up the next day with no balls”. She laughed at me and continued to straighten her hair. 

“I’m nervous”, I said scratching my arm. She rolled her eyes, “Girl don’t be. He’ll love you, trust me”. I smiled and hugged her. “Are you ready?” she asked. She was about to push me out the door when, “Wait, who’s going to help you get out of here?” She glared at my stalling, “I have a body guard waiting outside”. I frowned, “I told you not to date that Jai guy. He was just trouble. He is such a douche bag. I can’t even believe he did that on twitter”. She nodded, “You know, the best friend always knows best”. I smiled and nodded. I hugged her, “Text me, girl”. She smiled, “Of course, wait do you want to come to my house tonight? Just you and me?” I smiled, “Yes; sleepover!” We laughed together. The last thing I heard from her was, “Good luck”. 

I saw Jay standing there with a single daisy and I blushed. I smiled at him, “Hey! What are you doing here?” He smiled, “Ari told me that you’d be here so I came to pick you up”. I smiled at him and he offered me his hand and I took it. We walked out the back door together and went to his car. I felt my jaw drop when I saw his car. It was a red convertible with black leather seats. I smiled and opened the door for me and I hopped in. He closed it and ran to his side of the car and jumped in. I laughed at him which made him smile. 

We drove to a Starbucks nearby and we ran in together. The smell of coffee and chocolate hit me hard and I smiled. We got in line and ordered. When they called Jay’s name, he walked up to the counter and picked up our drinks. I smiled as he came back and sat on the other side of me. We sipped our drinks. We talked for a while and shared a lot of laughs. His laugh was contagious. We played a game of Never Have I Ever and Two Truths and a Lie. I checked my watch and saw that it was already five thirty. I groaned because I didn’t want to have to leave yet, “Hey, I have to get going soon but this was fun”. He frowned but then smiled, “Yeah it was fun. Maybe we could do this again sometime”. I smiled at that, “Yeah maybe”. He laughed which just made me laugh. “Well, call me when you want to hang out again”, I said getting up. 

He walked me to his car and opened the door for me. What a gentlemen! He jumped in the other side and started the car. He drove to Ari’s house because she said she was already there and she wanted to hang out. We talked for a little while and sadly, we got to her hotel. Jay rode the elevator with me walked me to the door. “This was fun”, he said smiling. I smiled too, “Yeah, it definitely was fun”. He leaned in a little and I leaned too. I swear he was about to kiss me when the door flew open. I beaming Ari was in the doorway. I glared at her and she just smiled, “You two seem to be enjoying each other’s company”.