There's a First for Everything

ARIANA POV

          I played the chord again on the piano. “And through these crazy times, it’s you, it’s you”, I sang. I nodded to myself and wrote the lyric down in my journal. “That sounds good, Ari”, Liz smiled from the couch. She was on her phone texting Jay. I answered, “Thanks, it’s definitely still a work in process though”. She chuckled and continued to type on her phone.

          “You’re a falling star, you’re the getaway car, you’re the line in the sand when I get too far”, I fiddled with the piano. I erased the old verse from my journal and wrote in the new one. I tried to think of more lyrics, but absolutely nothing was coming. I played the chords on the piano idly while trying to think of more words. “Liz, help me; this is hard”, I whined and slammed mu hands on the piano in frustration. “Ok girl, you need to calm down”, she started, “It’s really sweet that you’re doing this for him. I don’t think he’ll mind if the song sucks”, she saw my eyes bulge, “Which it won’t”, she quickly finished.

          I rolled my eyes at her and continued to figure out lyrics for the song. “Jay says they’re going on tour soon”, Liz frowned, staring at her phone. My fingers hovered over the piano when she said that. I sighed, “I know, Nathan told me. They are leaving in a couple weeks”.

          Liz smiled sadly at me, “Well, it’s just going to be you and me for a couple months”. I nodded, “Hasn’t it always just been you and me?” She shrugged, “Sort of”, she got up and sat beside me on the bench of the piano. “So how’s the song coming along”? I frowned, “Eh, it just needs a couple more lyrics”. She said, “Well, I suck at singing, but there’s a first for everything right”, she asked, smiling. I laughed, “I guess there is”.