Much

Nathan’s POV

            I saw Ariana fall asleep on Max’s shoulder. I felt a sting of jealousy flow through my veins and saw Max wink at me through the rear view mirror. I gave him the bird and continued driving. “So Nathan, what was that little scene you had with Ari”, Jay asked. I felt my face heat up, “something you shouldn’t have interrupted”. Max said, “Oh my goodness, lad; why don’t you just kiss her”? I sighed, “She just got out of a relationship and she could still be pretty sad. Plus, what if she doesn’t feel the same way; I would be devastated”. Max looked thoughtful for a second, “My goodness, are you blind? Her eyes light up when she sees you and her smile gets like ten times bigger, mate. How can u not see that”? I felt my face breaks into a smile, “Really”? Jay groaned, “Yes, just ask her out”! I straitened myself a little, “Maybe I’ll ask her out tonight”. Jay and Max rolled their eyes and what I also saw I did not believe. I thought I saw a small smile appear on Ariana’s face but when I blinked it was gone.

            I parked in our driveway. Ariana can just stay over at our house tonight. Max was about to pick Ariana up, but I gave him a look. He smirked at me, “Fine you carry your girlfriend”.  I rolled my eyes and went to the back seat to pick her up. She was so pretty when she slept I slipped my arm under knees and lifted her bridal style. I put her head on my chest and carried her inside. When we were inside I put her on the couch and kissed her forehead and she awoke right after and smiled at me. I thought she was a heavy sleeper; weird. “What time is it”, she asked. I looked at my watch, “Seven”.

            She nodded and I sat down beside her, “My throat hurts”.  I forgot about that. I wrapped an arm around her which she probably thought was a friendly way; she’d never know it was more. Her voice was so soft now and it was gravelly. I turned on the telly and SpongeBob was on. We watched that for about thirty minutes with her on one side of the couch with her legs on my lap. Finally the lads finally came down the stairs with two bags of chips, three buckets of ice cream, a box of beer, a box of coke, four bags of candy, and two decks of cards. When they came closer I saw that the cards were Uno cards and a regular set. “Oh no”, I said.

            Ariana just laughed. She’s played with us a couple times and she knows what happens when everyone gets too drunk and gets angry. “Oh yes”, Tom said, smirking. Siva motioned for everyone to sit in a circle on the floor. Everyone did. I sat with Ariana on my right and Tom on my left. Jay sat on Ariana’s right side. Everyone picked up a beer except for Ariana and me. I should probably stay sober. I grabbed two cokes and handed one to her. “Ok so, first we are going to play an innocent game of Uno. We shall bet for candy for both of these games”, Siva said.

            Max threw everyone a handful of candy and Ariana gave everyone five Uno cards each. Ariana put in three pieces of candy for betting and I put four and stuck my tongue out at her which made her laugh. Everyone else put in about that amount of candy. We started playing and after five minutes Max was already yelling and slurring his words. That guy could drink. He was already on his third bottle. “YOU CANT JUST D-DO THAT”, Max said. Siva had just made him draw four. “Um, I just did. Get over it”.

            I mentally face palmed. You don’t just say that to Max. You have to let him down gently. Surprisingly, Max just took a long swig of beer and took the four cards. The game continued and eventually Max had half the deck in his hands and me and Ariana had the least amount. Max’s eyes were shifting in and out of focus because he had already had like five beers. When he met Nina, he stopped drinking as much as he used to but he still drinks a lot.

            I shook the thought out of my head and put in a three. Suddenly Ariana yelled, “UNO”. I looked at her and she was grinning at me cards. I realized that I had one card left and I didn’t say Uno. That meant I had to pick up two cards. I pouted at Ariana and she just shook her head, “You have to pick them up, Nath”. I was about to tackle her but she was too fast. She was already up and running away. I was right on her heels though. Just a little more and I’d have her. I sped up a little so I was right behind her and grabbed her waist, lifted her up so her feet didn’t touch the ground and spun her around. She screamed and laughed, “You can’t take me alive”. I laughed even harder and swung her around so that she was over my shoulder and walked back to the others and put her down.

            She threw two cards at me which made me play glare at her which made her laugh even harder. After ten more minutes, Ariana won and she stuck her tongue out at me which made me smile a little. I decided to have a little fun though. I crossed my arms and pouted at her. “Aww what’s wrong with Nathan” Tom said. Ariana laughed, “He’s a sore loser”. I pouted again, “Whatever”, I said trying to sound like those teenagers. She laughed again which sounded like music to my ears. “Aww what do I have to do to make it better”, she said pouting which made my heart beat quicken. I turned my face a little so telling her what I wanted. She rolled her eyes and kissed me on the cheek. I smiled a little at the warmth from the kiss on my face.

            I couldn’t help but think how much I wanted to be more than friends. I got lost in her big brown eyes. After a while the guys cleared their throat and we looked away blushing. Well, she looked away; I still stared at her. The boys laughed and got ready for a good game of poker.

            After an hour and a half, Ari had twenty pieces of candy; I had a handful. Max was passed out on the couch, Siva was talking to his girlfriend and Tom and Ari were trading candy while I played with her hair. She smiled at me and continued with Tom.

            “I’m going to get to bed. Long day tomorrow, mate”, Tom said, leaving to his room. I checked my phone. It’s already midnight. I looked at Ari and saw that she was staring intently at the screen, chewing a piece of candy. I smiled. “‘Night Tom”, she said. She yawned a little which was the cutest thing ever, “You tired”, and I asked smirking. “A little”, she said. “We probably should get to sleep. You can sleep in my room”, I said. “No its ok, I’ll be on the couch”, she said. I gave her a look, “No I insist”. She nodded and got off the couch after me. She stumbled a bit which made me laugh so I bent down a little in front of her. She jumped on my back and I started walking toward my room. I opened the door and she jumped down and looked at me.

            I couldn’t help it anymore. I need to tell her how I feel before it’s too late, “Ari”. She looked at me and raised her eyebrows, “I need to tell you something”. “You can tell me anything Nathan”, she smiled. We were really close and I was getting lost in her big brown eyes, “I actually need to tell you something too”, she said. I breathed, “You first”, she said quickly. “Ari, I really like being with you”, I said. She smiled, “I really like being with you too”. I stuttered out, “I-I really l-like you and I-I…..can’t help it. You’re just so beautiful and you just have to stand there with your big brown eyes and looking at me and…. And I can’t spend so much time with you just as a friend. I want to be more than a friend”, I stopped. She had surprise written all over her face, but also another look in her eye that I couldn’t place. I was starting to get worried that she would reject me. I don’t know what I would do if she wasn’t in my life, “Look, I get it if you don’t feel the same way. I mean, you just got out of a relationship and I’m…well me. Just tell me if you don’t like me like that. I underst-“

            I was immediately cut off when her lips collided with mine. I felt sparks between us and her lips were so soft and she tasted like strawberries. I wrapped my arms around her waist and pulled her closer. I felt her arms wrap around my neck. She pulled back for breath, “Does that clear things up”. I smiled at her, “Much”.