Chapter 13: Home

A/N Here's chapter 13. This one is sad, so brace yourselves. Happy New Years to everyone :D

 Liam woke me early in the morning to catch the plane. He didn't say much as we drove to the airport. I knew he was confused by this whole thing. Why fly to Florida just to talk about my scars with my mysterious twin sister? I’m sure he was incredibly perplexed, and probably a bit angry, but he just smiled and drove me to the airport.

Liam called the other boys when we arrived, saying that we’d be in Florida for a couple days. I could hear Louis screaming through the phone when he heard my name.

HEYIZZYHAVEFUNINFLORIDADON'TBREAKLIAMWHILEYOU'REGONESTAYAWAYFROMTHEHOBOS!” I don't know how he could talk that fast but he did.

Smiling, I yelled back, “OKAYBOOBEARDONTWORRYI'LLBEFINE!” The people at the airport were starting to stare, so Liam hung up and we boarded the plane.

During the long ride, I wrote another song. This one was different, more personal. This one was about Lizzy. It hurt, but somehow made me feel lighter. 

Liam was quiet during the flight, mostly listening to music and texting his friends. I could tell he was annoyed with me, but was still willing to take me on this trip. I still had no idea how I was going to tell him. Would I go to my old house? No, I don't think I could handle that. I had to think of something soon. 

After the plane landed, Liam led me to a small black car and asked me where to tell the driver. I shook my head slowly.

“We can walk. She lives close to here." I explained. Liam nodded before waving off the driver.

My old town was quiet now, but I remember every part of it. The small movie theatre where I saw my first film; the bakery where I ordered my fourth birthday cake. Walking past this, millions of memories flew through my mind, and I had to choke back a sob.

Seeing my discomfort, Liam took my hand for the rest of the walk. When we arrived, Liam stopped in his tracks. The sign read Green View Cemetery.

“What…” Liam started, but I shook my head.

“Come on.” I whispered before entering the gates. 

The first step was the hardest part. After I’d passed the gate, it got easier. My mind went blank, but my feet knew the path well; I’d come here every day after Lizzy’s death. There, in the shade of a large palm tree, sat my sister's grave. I pulled Liam over to it and knelt beside the stone, my fingers gripping the dirt.

Liam was silent, his mouth in a O shape. 

“This… Is my twin sister Lizzy.” I whispered hoarsely. 

Liam came over and put his hand on my shoulder.

“She-She was my best friend. She used to braid my hair for me, and give me tips about fashion; And she loved making fun of my nerdiness.” I choked on the last word, but I had to get this out.

“She was the biggest Directioner I knew. That’s why I was hesitant around you at first. Liam, she loved you. She was always saying how she wanted to marry you, and I never thought- I never imagined I would meet you guys. When I did, I felt like I was betraying her, cause this was her dream, you know? It felt as if I was living the life she deserved.” I began to sob then.

Liam knelt down beside me, and began cleaning off her grave. 

“Liam, the worst part was, she died because of me.” Liam flinched when I said this. His hand wrapped around my shoulder.

“No. It couldn't have been you fault.” He argued, his voice calm and sure. I nodded slowly, took a deep breath, and told him the Story. 

“It was the summer of year eleven, right before we would become seniors. Lizzy had got us into this big party because she knew everyone. I didn't want to go, but she kept begging me. When we got there, Lizzy left me and started drinking. I wasn't going to have any drinks, but then I thought, oh, what the hell, you know?” I sniffled and Liam nodded slowly.

“So, I had a drink. Just one, but one drink turned to two, then four, then I was gone. I had no idea where Lizzy was. See, this was my first time being drunk. Then, this super hot guy started talking to me. I was too drunk to realize that it was Lizzy’s ex boyfriend, Jake. Well, he said I was beautiful, and asked me to take him to my house so we could watch a movie. I agreed and he drove home. Well, when we got to my room, he-he started kissing me. I thought that I’d found love. I was so drunk. Then, things started getting serious, and I told him no, but he didn't stop, I started screaming at him to get off, but he didn't listen. My parents were gone to New York for the weekend, so the house was empty. I tried to get away. I really did. But then he-” I stopped and began sobbing.

Liam rubbed my back, but his face said that he was out for murder. I took another deep breath and continued. 

“He- well, you know. Then, after, I was crying, and Lizzy walked in. She was drunk, so she didn't notice me crying. All she saw was Jake making out with me. She still loved him. Jake got off of me, and got dressed quickly, but Lizzy was yelling at me. She said she was going to call the cops, and Jake panicked. So, he picked up his jack knife and stabbed her. Right in front of me. Then he ran. I screamed and screamed but nobody could hear me. I must have called the cops because they came in and took her body away. She died thinking I betrayed her.” I sobbed, clutching my stomach. I had never told anyone this story before, and it hurt to say it. 

“The next month I had to go back to school. The only friends I had were through Lizzy, so no one talked to me. We moved to London after a few days. That girl, Destiny, she found my record from my old school, and was reading it to the entire school when I ran into you that day. That's why I was so upset. That's my secret. My sister died and it’s my fault.” 

Liam was silent for a few minutes. When he did speak, his voice was calm and sure.

“Iz, your sister’s death was not your fault. You were both drunk, and you didn't know what was happening. You did not betray your sister, and I’m sure she knows that.” I looked up at him through the veil of tears in my eyes and smiled gratefully. 

“Thank you.” I whispered. Liam put his arm around my shoulders, but I wasn't done yet.

“The night I ran away from home, my Mom and I got into a fight about Lizzy. When I came home past curfew, she said that I could never see you again, and I got mad. When I yelled at her, she said that's something Lizzy would never do. Then, she- She slapped me and said that I should have died. My mother told me that I should be dead-” I started sobbing again, remembering that awful night. Liam looked absolutely heartbroken for me. He rubbed my back in slow circles while I cried. God, I wish I could talk to her right now. Apologize for what I did. Would she forgive me? I’m not so sure. 

“She’s your mother. She’ll come around. Despite what it looks like, I’m sure she still loves you.” Liam tried to comfort me. I nodded in response to his words, but a part of me still didn't believe him. How could I?