Chapter 3: Fresh Start

Saying goodbye was easy. I had no one to say it to, except Mr. Occino. 

He just smiled, patted my shoulder, and said, “Go find your life. And never, ever, forget your music.” 

Those words played over in my mind as the plane landed in London England, my new home. During the long ride, I’d written 2 songs, listened to my entire playlist 5 times, and read the second half of The Lord of the Rings, not counting naps and bathroom breaks. 

As I stepped out of the plane, I was hit by a blast of cold air, and I realized how different this was from my old home in Florida. I don't think I will ever get used to the cold, London winters. 

Mother had bought a small flat just inside of London, so different from our large house before. My room was about the size of Lizzy’s old walk-in closet, with a small twin bed, and one window. The walls were pale pink, my least favourite colour. I hated it, but at least I could stand in it without being forced to bear the intense ache in my chest. 

Unpacking my clothes, I got out the atrocious uniform I was required to wear to my new school. Crimson and blue plaid skirt with a white shirt and a blue blazer. To top it off, a red tie and white long socks were thrown in to add more snobbiness to the already stuck up outfit. It was some British private school that Mom spent a thousand dollars on to get me to grow up or whatever. It was awful. 

The first day of school, I was immediately the outcast. This was a very small school, so everyone knew everyone. I was new. Strange. People actually stopped talking to stare at me as I walked down the halls. 

When I came to my locker, I realized that no one would be beside me. Usually, Lizzy was my locker buddy, since our last names were the same. She would always ask me for homework and I would ask her for lip gloss, or a hair brush. Now I was alone.

Taking a deep breath, I made my way to my first class. It was Physics. My classes got all mixed up with the move, but I still had Law and music. Thank God.

When I entered the classroom, everything went silent. The teacher smiled, and waved me to the front.

“Hello. You must be Isabelle. Welcome to Summer Prep High.” I nodded, then walked to the back of the class. 

“Nuh uh! You can sit here, right behind Destiny. Destiny, darling, please make Isabelle feel welcome.” Reluctantly, I walked up to the second row, with everyone's eyes on me. The teacher began the lesson, and immediately Destiny turned around to talk. 

“Look, kid, I don't know what your deal is but no one new ever comes here. Good luck trying to fit in. Oh, and if you don't want people to know you’re depressed, try not to smudge your mascara when you cry. I suggest water proof. Do you have that in America?” With that, she swung her head around and faced the front. The teacher, thinking I was talking, punished me. 

“Miss Isabelle, if you plan on staying in this class, I suggest that you don't speak when I am speaking. I’m sure that you learned that at your previous school.” I sighed and nodded, not daring to explain the real person at fault. Destiny was a snob, but I figured I would have to face them so I wasn't too shocked. 

The teacher was about to begin the lesson again when the P.A. came on and the principal's monotone voice spoke. 

I wasn't really paying attention, when all of a sudden, every girl in the class got up and screamed. I jumped, startled by the sudden outburst. Some girls were crying, others were jumping up and down in huddles. The guys just groaned and stared ahead. 

While all this commotion was happening, I snuck out of the classroom, and walked down the halls unseen. Every class had screaming girls in it, and again I wondered what the commotion was. 

Is this what it’s like in London at this time? Maybe they’re really passionate about tea time. 

As I strolled downt the halls, I searched for the music room. This school had to have one. 

Finally, my searching was rewarded and I found the most beautiful room I’d ever seen. Large windows showed an incredible view of London. There were  paintings of every type of instrument, but that wasn’t what impressed me most. Towards the back, in the corner of the room, was the most spectacular grand piano I’d ever seen. It was sleek black with beautiful ivory keys and a black padded bench.

At my old school, There was a small keyboard with faded keys that only worked on half of the piano. I reached out and touched the top delicately, as if it would crumble beneath my fingers.

Sitting down, I ran my fingers over the keys, loving the rich sound it produced. After taking it all in, I began to play. I hadn’t actually played the piano since before Lizzy died, and it felt so good to let out all the emotions I held in. I played a song that I’d wrote just after the tragedy, and it was very emotional.

When I was done, I reluctantly left the beautiful room and went back to class. Surprisingly, the chaos was still going on, though I’d only been gone for a few minutes. The teacher was trying to get everyone under control, so I just slipped back in and found my seat.

Eventually people calmed down, but the rest of the day, everyone was so hyped up, they forgot about the silent new kid.

Everyone, except Destiny. 

A/N Hey peoples. Here's the third chapter. Sorry it took so long. Thanks to Love4Loubear for reminding me to upodate XD I'm so awful. Please comment if you like it (or if you don't, that's cool too) :) -MrsWho