Chapter 11: Recovery

Lizzy’s P.O.V.

The funny thing about deja vu is that it always comes when you least expect it. For some people, it comes when you visit the same place twice. For others, when you see a random stranger a few times in one day.

Naturally, deja vu for me is never that simple. Last night was the biggest, scariest, most traumatizing moment of deja vu I’ve ever experienced. Only this time, someone saved me. Why is it every time someone tries to protect me, they get hurt? 

This was what was going through my mind when I woke up at St. Joan’s hospital. The boys explained to me that Liam heard my call, informed them of it, then went to rescue me alone. He’s the reason I’m alive right now.

He also had deep bruises and some stitches. When I’d demanded to see him, the doctors told me that I couldn't move either. I’d lost a lot of blood last night and was still in shock. 

So that was how I ended up bawling my eyes out into Niall’ shirt while the other boys rubbed my back and stroked my hair. 

“It’s okay Iz, he’s not hurt that bad.” Niall reassured me gently.

“T-that’s not w-what I’m c-crying ab-about.” I explained through my tears. The boys frowned. 

“Then what are you crying about. You’re okay, he didn’t hurt you too bad so…” Louis asked confused. I couldn't tell them. Not yet. I would tell Liam, only because I owe him both an explanation and my life. I plastered a small smile on my face and shook my head. 

“Nothing. It’s nothing. I’m fine.” They smiled, indifferent to the truth. 

Eventually I got them all to leave so I could sleep. I was tired. So, so tired. 

When I woke up, the doctor said I was clear to go. My only charge was to get lots of rest, drink plenty of water, and not do anything strenuous.

Standing up made my head spin, but with the help of Niall and Louis, I walked down to Liam’s room. He looked so frail and weak that it hurt my heart. I know I’ve only known him for a day, but I feel very protective over him. Why would he go through all of this for me? I mean, sure, we kissed, but is that really enough time to risk you life for someone? His face was bruised and his breathing uneven, but he lit up when he saw me. I couldn't stand it anymore. Not caring that everyone was watching, I ran over and hugged Liam, carful not to put too much pressure on his ribs. 

“Liam!” I sobbed into his shirt.

He stroked my hair and whispered to me, “Sh… It’s okay. I’m okay.” Why was he comforting me? I was supposed to comfort him. He was the one hurt. 

“Why did you come for me? Why would you risk your life for me? God, you're so stupid.” I asked quietly after we were alone.

He answered me directly, without hesitation. 

“Because you called me. You needed me.” 

“Why? What’s so special about me?” I asked. He looked into my eyes.

“Everything. You're so special Iz, can't you see that? The way you trusted us after just meeting us in the music room. The way you can quote superhero movies, and read books in a day. But most of all, after everything you went through, as soon as you could walk you were at my bedside. Me! You don't think anythings special about you? Well, you cared about me. You liked me for me: Liam Payne, a regular guy. Not Liam Payne, that boy from One Direction. You saw who I really was, and you didn't run away. That, is not something I see everyday.” I couldn't find any words.

I’ve read a lot of books, and in most of them something like this happens. I never in my life thought it could happen to me. This was everything I wanted someone to say to me. So, instead of speaking, I leaned in and kissed him. I tried to be as gentle as possible, and Liam laughed.