Chapter 1: New Life

My life is hell. Let me explain it before this story goes any further. My name is Isabelle Marie Grey. Strange, I know. My mother went through a period where she fell in love with early London, so she named her daughters Isabelle and Elizabeth. Yes, daughters. I had a twin sister once. She was amazing. All bright blonde hair and warm brown eyes. I, on the other hand, had paler blonde hair with icy blue eyes. That’s why we were so unique. Twins, completely identical except for the hair and eyes. She was a mirror image of my mother. I had my fathers eyes. 

She’s dead now. She was murdered two months ago. Now, school’s about to start and I’m dreading it. The only reason I had friends was because of Lizzy. I was Lizzy’s twin sister Izzy, so everyone had to like me. My sister was really my only friend. Now, I had to face everyone alone, without my best friend beside me. 

On the first day of school, I sat on the edge of my bed staring at Lizzy’s vanity table. Everything was still set up. Her make-up, her hair brush, even the little bows she wore at elementary school graduation. This was my senior year, and I was alone.

“Izzy! Come on! You’re going to be late on your first day.” My mom’s agitated voice drifted from downstairs. There had been a lot of tension in our family since we lost Lizzy. My mother seemed especially angry towards me lately. Dad had been extremely quiet, and refused to talk about our issues. Fine by me. 

I found my way to the closet and mechanically chose an outfit, not caring what it looked like. I’m sure I looked awful in it. With a pain in my chest, I realized that Lizzy wouldn't be around to give me advice, or ask for my clothes. I doubled over, grabbing my stomach, and tried not to cry. Deep breaths, I reminded myself. In, out. 

I stood up, exhaled, and walked towards the door. As I crossed the room, my feet somehow led me to Lizzy’s vanity table. Running my fingers across the edge of the wood, I thought of the last time I’d seen her sitting there. 

“Izzy, come on. You’re wearing that?” Lizzy laughed at me as I twirled in front of the mirror. I looked at my reflection and realized that she was right. It was awful. We were getting ready for a summer party with some kids from our school. 

“But Liz, It’s the only dress I have!” She gasped, her hand to her heart. 

“Then, we must enter… Dun duh duuun. My closet!” She stood dramatically, then opened her over flowing, walk in closet. She was terribly unorganized, always asking me to clean for her. She waltzed in and started picking through the dresses. I sighed, waiting outside. I hated dresses. Being a geek through and through, I never wore much other than graphic tees and jeans. 

“Ah ha!” Her voice came from inside the closet. She skipped out with the garment behind her back, a huge smile on her face. 

“I’m a genius. Truly. There should be a monument in my honour for this feat of impossible strength and wisdom.” Sighing dramatically, she handed me the dress in question. The sarcastic comment I’d planned died on my lips as I looked upon the gown. It was dark green silk and fell just to my knees. It was covered by see-through black lace with small flowers woven into the fabric. 

“Liz… It’s… Beautiful!” I said, nearly speechless. She beamed a me. 

“Put it on! Put it on!” She squeaked, and I ran into the closet. Quickly, I donned the gown and walked back outside. Lizzy smiled at me. She stood in her bright red sparkly dress, so stunning, and all she thought of was me. 

“You're so pretty Iz,” she said. We were about to leave when Lizzy jumped. “Wait! I almost forgot!” She ran back to the table, and brought a small, golden dragonfly clip with emerald wings. It was beautiful. 

“I got this for you a while ago, and I was waiting for the right time.” She stuck it into the bun in my hair. Stepping back, she brushed off my shoulder and straightened my strap. I grabbed her hand, and smiled. Together, we walked out to the last dance of the year.

That was the last time I’d seen my sister. She died that night. As I stood by her vanity table, I realized that I needed something. Some piece of her to hold on to. Reaching down, I picked up her perfume. Her favourite thing to put on was perfume. If I couldn't be with her, I could at least wear a piece of her. My mother’s honking from the driveway could be heard, so I quickly put some on and ran outside to start the first day.

A/N So hey guys, here's chapter 1! The picture on the side is how I pictured Izzy. If you have any ideas as to who you pictured as her, please tell me! I love hearing your ideas. Love you peoples <3 -MrsWho