Chapter 6

After my final lesson I rush to Alex's locker since he told me to wait for him there.I don't have to wait very long before he arrives, out of breath. I give him a questioning look. "I didn't want you to wait for too long." I smile.

"What?"

I start giggling and put my hand on his waist. "You will be a great boyfriend one day."

He looks into my eyes and I look down.Hmmm, what a nice, filthy floor. "Your boyfriend will be a lucky guy. I hope you choose him carefully."I punch him on the shoulder. "You're getting too soft on me."

He puts his hand over his heart. "What can I say? I have a marshmallow soft spot for you in my heart. Oh, by the way, turn around."I give that are-you-serious look and he only nods before I turn around.

Alex places a necklace around my neck and when I look down, there is a locket at the end.I open it to find a picture of him, Caitlin and I that we had taken the first year in high school. "Oh, I love it! You're the best."

"Well, it's just a way to remember me when you go to college.With your grades,you have a high chance of getting a scholarship anywhere."I could hear the hint of sadness in his voice. With the number of applications we both sent to various schools, we're waiting for any news from them, then it's goodbye. The three of us are hoping to go to the same college so we never have to part ways.

"I will miss your craziness,Alex." I look him straight in the eye as I say it.

"And I will miss your sweet smile, April." He interlocks our hands,opens his locker,takes out his Letterman jacket and helps me put it on. "It looks great on you." I tell him to take a picture of me and I have to say, the necklace looks great,though it's a little big, but it's still perfect.Afterwards, he rushes off to practice before the game today.

*******

Two minutes left in the game and our team is behind by one point.Player with the jersey number twelve bumps into Alex hard and he loses his balance and falls. My heart starts racing as I'm the first one to stand and rush to the row closest to him. They won't let me out on the field.

"Are you okay?"Alex looks my way when he hears my voice nods, and begins to stand. My breathing relaxes. He tries to walk, but it seems he sprained his ankle. The referee tells him to take a shot with no one blocking him.

What can I say, I don't know half the terms in any sports..

People are on the edge's of their seats as Alex takes his place on the court and shoots. It rolls on the edge of the hoop ring,the crowd is watching the basketball, but my eyes are on Alex. From the crowds screams I gathered that the ball went in.The whistle blows in the next second, signaling the end of the game. We won!

I see Stacy running towards Alex, but before she can reach him, I'm over the wall that separates the court from the bleachers and racing into Alex's arms. When I turn to look over his shoulder, Stacy is eyeing me. I don't know what got into me at that moment. I can't stop the half victorious-half giddy grin from forming on my face. "Sorry, I just had to be with my boyfriend. He's hurt."I tell her, not the least bit sorry as I let Alex put his hand over my shoulder.

He limps his way to the nurse's office, using my body as support for his ankle. "Thanks for saving me from her." I laugh. "Though, I have to say,I have never seen you run that fast before." I try to shrug nonchalantly. Alex keeps on smiling and my heart begins to race again.But, for an entirely different reason than earlier. Oh no, what's happening to me?

I help him into the nurse's office and stay by his side while he gets his ankle bandaged. "You know I will have to drive you home."

"Yeah, sure."

Thirty minutes later we're in my car and hitting the road. The drive to his house is quiet, and I can tell Alex is in deep thought. To tell the truth, so am I.

When we pulled up to his house, the lights are out. "Why are your lights off?"

He turns to look at the dark house for a second. "Well, my parents are on another business trip,so I'm home alone.Come in for a while, keep your friend here company."

I shake my head and his face falls. "Go get your clothes, you're sleeping over at my house. You sprained your ankle and need to rest. Plus, my parents are barely around, remember?" His breathtaking smile appears, causing my cheeks to grow hot. I just keep on hoping he doesn't notice. We go inside and gather his things, stuffing it all into a big duffle bag.

"I turn on the radio in time to hear my favorite song,Player. I turn up the volume and Alex gives me a questioning look as I start singing along. He later joins in and we are singing at the top of our lungs like maniacs. After the song ends, we start laughing. " This was fun. I missed this."

"Tomorrow we aren't going to school. I will be taking care of you. For tonight, it's movie night." He looks surprised but who could blame him, I barely ditch school. "You are worth it."

"Look who's getting soft on me now." I turn to him, stick out my tongue, and keep driving.

He punches me on the shoulder. "Stop taking advantage of the fact that I can't hit back, because this car is going to stop and I will get my revenge."That earns me a chuckle from him.

"You and revenge. Please, that's like saying a puppy could kill you.You are too sweet to hurt anybody." He starts laughing hysterically. I begin pouting. "Sorry,it's okay being sweet. I like that about you." Twice on the same day, I feel a blush forming on my face. Get a grip, April.