Chapter 4

After my deal with Alex, we formed a plan on how he will ask me out in front of the entire school. I'm sitting at our usual table during lunch time , waiting for him to show himself.

Butterflies erupt in my stomach when I see his familiar figure appear in the cafeteria doorway. This is really happening, I think to myself and straighten my spine, jutting my chin up at the same time. Let the whispers become shouts. With Alex by my side, I can take all the criticism and more from my fellow peers.

Alex's boyish grin grows as he approaches me and once he's within my hearing range, he bends on one knee, extending a hand with a bouquet of roses. The entire side of the cafeteria we're on becomes quiet, waiting. All eyes are on Alex and me.

My heart races and I place a hand over my heart, form my expression into one of shocked delight and let a smile grace my lips.

"April, will you please do me the honor of becoming my girlfriend?" Alex asks, looking up at me hopefully. I remember what I need to do next and without a second thought, I stand and jump into his arms.

"I will, Alex! I will." I take the roses, inhale their scent for a quick moment, then peck Alex on the cheek.

My face is aflame at what I just did, at what just happened.

I kissed a boy. Me.

I suddenly feel as if I could climb Mount Everest, go bungee jumping off a bridge.

I can do anything, I think, floating on this strange yet happy high for a moment. Alex looks stunned, so I bend to whisper in his ear. "It felt right for the moment."

When his stunned expression shifts into a smirk, I knew I had just started a huge problem. He's going to do something. But , what?

I squeal when he lifts me, firm hands on my waist, and twirls me around.

"This is going to be fun." He says softly, so only I can hear him. He looks around the cafeteria, sees the smiles and the glares and I know we must look like complete idiots. I don't think I've ever smiled this much in my entire life. It feels good.

" The plan worked perfectly. I'm sorry if it destroys your chances with prince charming. A.K.A. Tristan." He slightly jerks his head to the side and I turn my own head, gaze disbelieving and a prick of pain in my chest at the realization that I was right about Tristan. I had hoped he would turn out be different.

I stare at Trevor's table, notice how Trevor's expression says, 'I will kill you for this.' Tristan sits next to him, calmly meeting my gaze, though not for long.

I feel a sudden rush of anger as my thoughts fly around in my head. Where was he when Trevor was choking me? Had he been there,watching from further down the hall? Why on earth is he sitting next to that jerk? Trevor only allows his cowardly best friends to sit there with him.

The bell brings me out of my thoughts and Alex, carrying my books, interlocks our hands as he escorts me to my next class.

" I could get used to this." The words slip out of my mouth before I can stop them and I'm left feeling slightly mortified. Alex smirks when he sees my red cheeks.

He turns me to face him and kisses me on the cheek. I freeze, a giddy smile forming on my face. My best friend turned fake boyfriend just kissed me!

"So could I." Then he's gone.

I walk in and everyone's eyes are on me. My giddy smile slowly falls away as I suddenly feel like hiding. Out of habit, my head starts to lower and my eyes fixate on the tiled floor before I stop myself. You don't need to do that anymore. The bullying is over. I walk with my head held high, elated at my newfound confidence.