Chapter 5

When my alarm rings the next morning, I rush out of bed and into the shower. My nerves are all over the place as I imagine everyone's reactions at school when they see my new look. Once I'm done washing myself, I sit down in front of the bathroom mirror and begin drying my hair with my hair dryer. I use one hand to dry my hair while I dig around under the bathroom sink drawer for the hair curler.

When I pull it out, I simply stare at it for a moment. Can I do this? Can I be brave enough to face these judgmental kids with just a new look? Alex pops into my mind and I smile when I think of all he's done for me in the past few days alone. If he believes I can, then I can.

I finish drying my hair, grab the curling wand, and get to work.

Thirty-five minutes later, I apply some nude lipstick to my lips and a light coating of mascara then sit back and take it all in. My strawberry blonde hair is shining and I barely recognize myself. Is this really me?

I head to my room and throw on a pair of new shorts and a blouse before going downstairs for breakfast. It is now, I think.

Knowing that I'm being picked up this morning makes me more calm. For once, I don't have to hurry to get ready.

Like usual, my mom and dad are already at work,so I pour myself some cereal and wolf it down. I'm about to call Alex to see if he's left his home yet, but the sound of his truck horn outside has me dumping the bowl in the sink, grabbing my stuff, and running out the door. Wow, he's early.

"You took your time." I say when I'm in the passenger seat. When his eyes catch mine, his jaw drops. I turn away before he can see my blush. "Close your mouth. Staring is rude, you know."

Alex mutters a sorry and peels away from the curb.

" So, what do you think, will this surprise them?"

"You already have me drooling over you, so yes. Why have you hidden those long legs for so long?" I inwardly smile and just look ahead. If Alex keeps on saying things like that, pretty soon, it'll be useless to even bother trying to hide my blushing face.

Once Alex parks in the student parking lot, we get out and I feel as if everything starts moving in slow motion. With Alex by my side, we walk up to the school's front entrance. I keep my face void of any emotion when we step inside,except for a small smile gracing my face. People begin to point and soon everyone is staring at us. Eyes widen and jaws drop.

With our arms around each other's waist's, my smile grows and stretches from ear to ear. I can hear the whispers beginning, and for once, I don't care what they're saying.

Alex leads me to my first period class before hugging me and we part ways.

"You look great today, April." Tristan's voice speaks from my right side and I turn in my seat to face him with smile.

"Thanks a lot for the compliment. You don't look too bad yourself." I nearly freeze in surprise, but manage to keep my cool. Why did I just be polite to a boy whose friends with my enemy? Did I just flirt with said boy? I wonder where I got the confidence to say that, and by the surprised look on his face, Tristan is wondering the same thing.

"Uh, thanks. Are you feeling alright?" I just nod, a little embarrassed by my words. "Won't your boyfriend be upset with you talking to me?" I blush at the mention of Alex as my boyfriend.

" Yeah, he will mind, so watch your back. But tell me, how long have you known Trevor?"

Tristan seems taken aback by my question. "He's my cousin. I just moved here, so his parents are letting me stay at their house."