Chapter 1

*Eun Sang's POV*

I sat on the couch in the living room, eyes flickering to the clock again and again. My fingers gripped tightly on the sweater covering my forearms.

Why isn't he back yet?

It seemed like hours till I finally heard the front door clicked.

"Where have you been, it's already 2-" I asked, only to be ignored when he kicked off his shoes and walked straight past me to our shared room.

"Kim Tan-" I was cut off again by the slamming of the wooden door.

A sigh left my parted lips as I sunk to the ground, holding back tears that were gathering in my eyes.

It has been 8 years. 8 years since we fell in love despite everyone's attempt to tear us apart. 5 years ago, he proposed and we got married a year later.

But, someway, somehow, over the past four years, we seemed to have grown apart.

------

The shrieking sound of the alarm woke me up from my sleep, leaving me to feel extremely groggy after having slept at 3 yesterday and having to wake up at 7 now.

My hand reached over to the snooze button, pressing it down to stop the irritating noise.

I looked to the right where Tan was supposed to be, but it was empty.

Was he awake already?

I slipped on my slippers and headed to the kitchen, only to be greeted by the empty cold air.

At least he took the lunchbox, I thought with a sigh.

I went back to the room to get changed when I finally saw the leftovers of his strewn suit across the floor.

I bent down and placed them in the laundry basket, reminding myself mentally to send them for washing before heading to work.

------

My phone rang the moment I stepped out of the wardrobe, buttoning the last button on my shirt.

"Yeobuseyo? (Hello?)" I pressed the device between my right ear and shoulder, taking my bag and wallet.

"Doctor Cha, a patient has called to change their appointment from 3 p.m. to 9 a.m. today" The voice of my assistant, Nurse Im, sounded through the phone.

"Ne, is there a problem?" I asked, putting on my heels.

"Mrs Kim had already booked tomorrow's 9 a.m. slot."

I stood up straight, "Mrs Kim? As in my mother-in-law?"

"Ne."

"Is there another empty slot today?"

She paused for awhile, "There is one at 11 a.m."

I pinched my nose bridge, feeling frustrated with the stress that had already begun early in the morning, "Change it, I'll explain it to her." I said, locking up the door.

I tapped on the number quickly, answering in the most polite voice I could master, "Eomeonim..."

------

"I'll prescribe painkillers for your headache, as for your x-ray, Nurse Im here will take you to the department in charge of that." I said, handing Nurse Im a piece of paper.

"Thank you doctor."

"This way please" Nurse Im guided the patient out of my room.

I sipped on my mug of coffee, staring at the time on my computer, 10.45 a.m.

She should be here anytime soon, I said to myself mentally.