23

"Luke said you guys aren't too great at the moment" Mia said.

"We're just arguing over our after school plans"

"What like college and shit?"

"Yeah"

"Well what's the problem?"

"Luke wants to go to university in Brisbane and I want to stay here"

"Fuck"

"Indeed"

"You guys'll be fine, you just need to talk about it"

"Every time we do, we argue more"

"The school sent all of our applications off. He could know where he's going within a couple of weeks"

"Seriously?" She nodded. "He's going to have his life planned out and I haven't even started"

"You'll find something. And something will work out with you and Luke"

"I hope so"

****

"Maddie? Is that you?"

"No, mum, it's a burglar"

"I don't like that tone"

"Mum" I whined.

"How was your day?"

"OK I guess"

"How's Luke?"

"Good I think. I didn't really see him today"

"Did something happen with you guys?"

"We were discussing our plans for when school finishes and he said he wants to go to Brisbane university and I want to do an internship in Sydney"

"Oh, that's an issue" I nodded."It's nothing you guys won't figure out though"

"I know. It's just a lot to comprehend, especially with Luke going on about how amazing Brisbane is constantly"

"He's just excited. Can't you move to Brisbane with him?"

"I don't want to live in Brisbane. Friends and family are everything to me and just packing up and moving to Brisbane means leaving all of that behind"

"Look at internships in Brisbane, they might be amazing. Go get your laptop and I'll help you"

"Thanks" I ran upstairs and grabbed my laptop before going into the living room and sitting by my mum on the sofa. We started looking at several different options.

"Mads, there's nothing in Brisbane for you"

"Luke'll be in Brisbane"

"But the rest of your life won't be. Look at all your options in Sydney" She was right. There were so many internships in Sydney compared to about 8 in Brisbane that didn't offer anything and were all unpaid. "You know Marie?"

"Yeah?"

"She mentioned something about a journalism job at some teen magazine"

"Like a proper job?"

"I think so. She said they'd trial you for a couple of weeks then see how it goes. See what stories you're best at"

"Why didn't you tell me sooner?"

"I forgot she even mentioned it"

"Tell her I'm interested" She nodded.

"I'll call her tomorrow"