21

"You ready?"

"I think so" I replied to Luke as I passed him my tote bag with all of my stuff in it. "I just need to go say bye to my mum then we can go"

"I'll put this in my car" I nodded and walked downstairs and into the kitchen where my mum was.

"Luke and I are leaving now"

"OK. Have a good time, honey. Message me when you can to let me know how you're doing" I nodded. "Love you"

"Love you too" I quickly hugged her.

"And you" I turned to see Luke stood in the doorway, smiling. He walked over to us. "Look after her for me"

"I will" He said and my mum surprised him by pulling him into a hug.

"I'll see you two in a few days" She said, hugging me one last time before we left the house.

"Your mum's cute" Luke said as pulled out of the driveway.

"So's yours"

"At least they support our relationship" Our friends still weren't overly supportive of us even though it had been a good two weeks since they'd last brought anything up.

"So, who else is coming?"

"Celeste, Jack, Ben and Ben's friend, Hollie"

"Just friends?"

"According to Ben"

"Bullshit"

"That's what I said"

"I'm so tired" I told him.

"It's only 4 o'clock"

"I didn't get much sleep last night"

"Why? Someone on your mind?" He flipped his imaginary long hair as he continued driving.

"You wish. But no, I just couldn't sleep. I'm kind of nervous about this to be honest"

"Why?"

"Because you and I didn't used to get on very well and your family knows that. I've never really been close to your family that much either. I'm just worried they won't like me when they get to know me"

"They'll love you just like me"

"Shut the fuck up"

"You don't love me?" He pouted, quickly glancing over at me.

"You're so annoying"

"But you love me"

"True" He smiled. "So, how long's the journey?"

"Like an hour and a quarter"

"Ugh"

"Go to sleep. Especially if you're tired"

"I don't want too. I won't sleep tonight"

"Babe, just sleep if you're tired"

"We'll see. If I stop responding I'm asleep"

"Or dead" I hit his arm.

"I'm driving!" I rolled my eyes before slouching in my seat.

****

"Is that Maddie?" I heard someone ask as I woke up.

"Yeah, she was tired" I kept my eyes shut.

"How are you guys doing anyway?" I recognised the voice more. I think it was Jack. We must have arrived at his beach house.

"We're good"

"And how's everyone else?"

"Annoying. None of them support us"