CHAPTER 12: NEW YORK

I wasn’t exactly sure if I’m hallucinating or if this is really Griffin. I held on to his arms tight in case my wing machine decides not to function well. We’ve been flying for hours already and my shoulders hurt.

“Where are we going?” I asked.

“I don’t know,” he replied.

I tried to smack him but he avoided it and laughed.

“Don’t smack me.”

“You don’t even know where were supposed to be going!”

“You’re the one who followed me.”

Oh.

I looked at him and he had a smirk on his face.

Oh god. His smile.

Griffin stopped. He looked down.

“I think…I think this is the place to go,” he said.

“This?” I asked. I looked down and I saw buildings lots of it.

“Yeah. New York.”He began. “Ok take off your–”

“Clothes?” I joked remembering that one-day in the Pitch Black Room.

Griffin laughed.

“No, your wings!”

“I’ll fall.”

“I’ll carry you.”

I quickly took my wings off as I held on to Griffin. He took me and carried me in his arms. His warm breath tickled my ears.

“You ready?” he whispered.

“For what?” I asked.

“Close your eyes.”

“No.”

“Suit yourself,”

My heart pounded.

What is he going to do now?

I watched him unfold his wings as he dived downwards the wind was blowing his hair and his feathers. I stared at his eyes. It was light brown now. I remember it to being black as the night. I’m so confused. I really am not sure if he’s Griffin or not.

“Am I being deceived by my grief?” I thought.

But it can’t be. He was real. I know he is.

Maybe he had to change a little to be resurrected from the dead? I wrapped one arm around him I can feel his scars.

“We’re here,” he said. I looked around me and it was full of trees.

“Why are we in the jungle?” I asked.

“So I can fold my wings and hide it,” he replied.

I got off of from his arms and looked around the place. There was full of lights and buildings lots of buildings. I’ve never been to the human world. I was too scared to even dare to come here.

“Ever been here?” I asked.

“No,” he said. “Well, in the mortal world. Yeah.”

I stared at him waiting for an explanation.

“I fell in love with a mortal once. I always visited her when no one was watching me.” He shook his head. “She’s dead though.”

“What happened?”

“Master Adrian killed her. It wasn’t allowed and she had to be killed to keep me from leaving the Underworld.”

I covered my mouth.

“Oh my,” I thought. “That is horrible.”

“That was a long time ago though. It’s nothing.”

Poor human. I hate it when an innocent blood gets spilled. They don’t even do anything.

Griffin grabbed my arm.

“Stay close to me,” he began. “Don’t let go.”

“Okay,” I stammered.

He wrapped his arms around my waist and bent down. I can feel his breath in my ears.

“Promise me that.” He said. “Promise you’ll never let go.”

“I promise,” I whispered.

“I don’t want to happen to you what happened to Marina,” he said softly. “I don’t want any of that.”