16. Like a Lot

Not edited- will do asap! Sorry for mistakes bc there's probs a lot lol                              

                                N I A L L

A sudden gasp rang out throughout the whole room, causing just about everyone to look over to where the noise came from. My eyes landed on Molly who looked highly indignant. Ellison stood just to the left and the smirk on her rosy lips and the fire in the blazing green of her irises left no room for any guessing as to what caused the sudden piecing of the sword.

She didn't even give the room one last look before she stepped out and into the hall.

This was not how I expected this night to go.

Chiming of metal against glass filled the empty silence, gathering everyone's attention back to the front. The President of CCF, Jerrold Chadwick, stood at the podium, a bright and happy smile on his face. "Welcome, everybody." He spoke into the microphone. "Welcome. If we could have everyone take their seats please." My eyes roamed back over to the entrance, thoughts curious as to what the hell Ellison had said to make Molly feel offended. Everyone around settled into their chairs, pouring their glasses full of wine as they turned their attention to the front.

I decided to sit too, listening to the man go on about the foundation– explaining when it first was founded, what they have done for children over the years, how much has been raised for families of children, etcetera. A few women told some stories that gathered the emotions of the crowd and about an hour or so later, they were thanking their sponsors and getting pictures taken, and I was walking back up to the room because the curiosity hung high over my head.

Slowly, but steadily, I slid the card through the reader and pushed the large wooden door open, a shadow of black casting over my silhouette. A light melody flew from the bathroom, a small glimmer of light seeping out from the crack at the bottom.

"Ellison?" I tapped a knuckle against the door.

"It's unlocked." My eyes rose. Slipping off my jacket, I tossed it over the back of a chair and gently turned the handle to walk in. A small lamp was turned on in the corner between the wall and the mirror and water was heard gently rocking against the sides of the tub. Loosening my tie, I stepped in, allowing the dark of the room to envelope my body.

I could see her figure, neck deep in soapy water, drowned by the thick coat of lightless air. Her hair was pulled over the back of the tub and little patters of gold light shimmered over her soft skin. Plopping a seat on the ledge, the speechless sound between us was replaced with some melody that flew from her phone.

My foot tapped against a 3/4ths empty wine bottle. Turning my head, I caught a slight view of the wine glass on the other ledge of the tub. It was then that I noticed that she was still drinking, and I'd wondered how much she'd had. But, before I could ask, a few words were already slipping from the edge of her lips.

"I'm sorry."

That's all she said. Two simple words that made me forget why I was even up here in the first place. The way they were so softly spoken, and the way my heart dropped at the sound. Who knew that it'd only take those two small and overly used words to cause my world to stop for a few short seconds.

I bowed my head and let out a nearly silent breath of air. Folding my fingers in front of me, I licked my lips, trying my hardest to think of a response that would sound equivalent to her phrase.

"I know what it's like to walk into a room and feel small. I know what it's like to feel like you're suffocating within the confinement of a social presence." I paused and looked up, my eyes landing on the most beautiful girl with the most beautiful eyes. "You do not owe this night any form of apology. This night owes you one." Watching her eyelids close in contentment, I suddenly felt a longing for her presence, despite her earthly body resting only inches from mine. "What was said to Molly?"