5. Counters Are Made For Glasses

Today was Saturday.

Saturday meant an extra five hours to sleep in, and let me say that I never hesitated to take up that offer. However, this Saturday was a little out of the ordinary as a murderous scream pelted through my ears, causing my eyes to burst open with alertness.

Sitting up, the mattress shifted under my weight as my pupils adjusted to the light streaming in from the open blinds. I rubbed my eyes and jumped from the bed, pulling on my Henley shirt from the night before as I scurried my way up the stairs and into the guest room that Ellison had been occupying.

"Niall!" Ellison yelled, her eyes wide with horror as she hid in the doorway of the bathroom with a toilet plunger held out in defense. A tall male stood on the opposite side of her bed, dressed in all white with a look of panic sprawled amongst his deep cut facial features as she held out his hands in shock.

"Hector?" I questioned, stepping further into the room. When I woke up this morning, this was not what I was expecting to see. It was almost comical. I noticed Ellison lower her excuse of a weapon.

"Wait, you know him?" Ellison asked, her eyes dancing back and forth between my substitute butler. Hector was a calm, 22 year old Brazilian and Black mixed man who happened to sub in for Jessica when she or her children were ill.

He and I both ignored her though as he began to explain himself. Hector knew, just like all of my other workers, exactly when to talk, even if it did include being rude to another person.

"Mr. Horan-" he stood straight. "I did not know that this room was being used. Jessica called me first thing this morning saying that she needed me to step in, and the woman was in the bathroom when I entered. My apologies, sir."

I bobbed my head once. "Hector, this is Ellison. Please assist her in making sure that she is well taken care of." I glanced to Ellison, trying not to laugh at her choice of so called protection. "I'll be in the kitchen if you need me. Come down when you're ready." I began to turn, but Ellison's voice suddenly rang through my ears.

"No wait-" I turned on my heels to look at her as she flashed Hector an awkward smile before meeting my eyes. "I'll come with you." I nodded and began to walk, hearing her small feet pad along the marble of the bedroom floor.

~~~

"And what did you think a plunger was going to do?" I laughed loudly, stirring the scrambled eggs in the frying pan over the stove.

  "I just thought..." Ellison dragged off, a smile present in her voice. "I don't know, okay?" She laughed. "It was the only thing I could get my hands on."

  "We're you planing on just beating him to death?" I smirked teasingly as I glanced over my shoulder to see her sitting on the countertop of the island, still in nothing but my white shirt. I couldn't help but to notice the caribbean blue color peaking through the small space between the shirt and her crossed legs.

"Maybe! I could take him, ya know!" She laughed, building up her confidence although we both know that is not true.

"Okay." I scoffed, seeing her suddenly kick out her right leg and tap me in the bum with her foot. Before she could pull it away however, my fingers had grasped her ankle, turning my body fully around as I yanked myself towards her.

Ellison squealed, laughing as she placed her hands on my chest and tried to push me away. "I'm sorry!" She laughed harder. I just smiled and let go, turning back around.