Chapter 95

I woke to a late morning with frost in the wind and excitement fluttering inside my chest. I could feel it winding through my fingers, my lips pulled into a smile before my brain could even really figure out why.

The reason wasn't surprising, though.

It was December eighteenth, and after one month of grueling training, exhausting finals, and too little letters, the Hogwarts Express would be pulling into Kings Cross station with my fiancé and friends aboard it. Winter break was here, and I was ready to embrace it with open arms.

I just had to get through the morning first.

I was about to start bouncing off the walls of our kitchen, stopping only when Theo threatened to take my mug of tea from my hands. I recoiled carefully, crossing over the kitchen to sit at the counter. I held my mug protectively between my hands and sipped from it, letting the peppermint flood my tongue and sooth my frayed nerves.

"You look like an over-sugared first year," Theo told me with a sigh, lifting his mug of coffee to his lips. Brown eyes surveyed me skeptically, amusement glinting in them at my evident lack of composure. I scoffed, and tried to stop my fingers from tapping anxiously against the ceramic of my mug.

"And you're not the same? Luna's coming back too, you know."

"Of course I know that," Theo huffed, but his grin was irrepressible despite his best efforts. He looked at me with bright eyes, and his tan cheeks held just the faintest hint of pink. "Fine. So perhaps I'm a little excited. Damn you."

"Your honesty is appreciated," I told him, concealing my smile by lifting my mug up to my lips. It was only our second day of holiday break, but yesterday had certainly stretched out to a painful extent. The fact that today, after so much waiting, was finally here, was... breathtaking. Invigorating.

"What time does the train get in?" I asked, possibly for the hundredth time since the last morning. Theo didn't look bothered by the question.

"Six-thirty," he said, looking a little dreamy at the idea. I wondered if mentioning Luna had been a mistake, and if I looked as love-sick whenever someone mentioned Draco. I had a strong belief I did, but shrugged it off with ease. I was engaged; I was allowed to be a little love-sick every once in awhile.

"So that gives us a few good hours, then," I sighed, letting the knowledge seep into my bones. Briefly, the excitement dampened, the reminder that there was still some time before I could actually wrap my arms around Draco. I let out a deep breath, then sipped from my tea again. I had waited patiently enough so far; a few more hours wouldn't kill me. I had things to do. Shower, dress, eat... anxiously pace around the living room.

"You two look like you've both caught snitches. Are you that excited?" Lavender's voice was a welcoming chime as she came in from the hallway, already dressed and ready to start the day. She smiled at me, momentarily appearing to take in my messiness– short hair was a prime candidate for bedhead– with a fondness I couldn't begrudge her. "I mean, sure, I'm more than ready to see Seamus, but I'm not about to get my wand in a knot over it."

"Ever the sympathetic one, Lavender," Theo snorted, then choked when he happened to inhale some of his coffee. I grimaced at him, pausing only to double check he wasn't actually in trouble of dying before I looked to Lavender.

"You have a job to distract you," I reminded her. "Theo and I just have to sit and wait."

Theo nodded mutely in agreement. Lavender rolled her eyes.

"Well, while you're sitting and waiting, perhaps you'll find it in you to tidy the house a bit?" She suggested, her grin keen as she began fixing her normal breakfast of jam and toast. I nodded– when you could charm the vacuum, cleaning wasn't such an issue.