Chapter 81

The weight of grief hit me like a train, but I forced myself to keep moving against it.

It took me a few minutes before I was able to stumble out of the forest- apparently I had wandered further than I originally realized- but soon I found myself back in the field, surrounded by blue skies and smoke that came from the rubble of the castle. I broke out into a jog as soon as the ground evened out, and ignored the protest of my sore legs in favor of getting back to the castle faster.

My boots clacked against the pavement as I moved up the steps, making sure to not trip over any fallen castle rubble. Stepping into the Great Hall, it took me a moment to locate him, but when I did, relief flooded my veins.

"Draco!"

"Potter! Where the hell have you been?" Draco asked, turning just in time to allow me to throw my arms around me. He was a little sweaty, and definitely warm, but he was alive and I'd take it.

"Just went for walk. Had to get some fresh air."  I said, face hidden in the dark fabric of his shirt, allowing a few tears to escape before I wiped them away. I could tell him everything on a later date, when everything was less new and raw. His arms wrapped around my waist, unknowingly soothing the sobs that had been threatening to force their way up my throat.

"You had me worried." He murmured, and I let out a deep sigh, tilting to rest my head on his shoulder. I was safe here. I was living here. Pushing the past hour gently to the back of my mind, I managed a small smile.

"Try living the past few months with a boyfriend as a spy." I said, and Draco hummed, lips pressing to the top of my head.

"Try living with a girlfriend who likes to fling herself into every scenario of trouble imaginable." He counted gently, and I could feel him frown against my forehead. "How are you doing, anyway? Injury wise- everything healed up alright?"

"I think so. You can check for yourself later." I told him, my smile turning sly as I leant up and pressed my lips to his cheek. His hands tightened around my waist for a moment, then let together all completely as a new voice came from behind us.

"Lily, I've been looking for you."  Remus Lupin said, sounding slightly out of breath. I turned, looking over at him with concern.

"Why? What's happened?" I asked, stepping back from Draco but not moving away completely, as his hand was holding tightly onto mine. Remus shook his head, waving me down from the on-guard stance I had taken.

"Everything's fine now- The Tonks' safe house was attacked." He told me, grimacing at my wide-eyed expression. "Teddy and Caiden are... alive, but Andromeda..."

"Oh, Tonks." I said morosely, heart breaking for my friend. "Remus, you should-"

"She's with Sirius, and Tonks wanted me to tell you first. Teddy's with Molly now, but- Caiden's been asking for you." Remus said gently. "Lily, he's been hurt. We're not sure in what severity yet, but it may take time to tell-"

"Bring me to him. I'll heal him now." I said firmly. Remus shook his head though, looking genuinely at a loss for words. He seemed to struggle for a moment, and Draco's hand tightened soothingly on mine, thumb brushing over the back of my knuckles. Finally, Remus gave a big sigh, brows furrowed.

"What I mean, is that there's a possibility he was bitten." He said quietly, and I frowned at him, not entirely understanding before I gasped.

"That's not- not even possible! It wasn't a full moon, Remus-"

"But it's close. Bill Weasley was never the same after he was attacked- and he was only scratched.  And Caiden doesn't have the advantage of magic on his side." Remus groaned, rubbing at his eyes. "Please, come."