Chapter 68

The second week of January was dismal.

Classes had resumed in full force, the snow was washed away by rain, and cold settled in the castle, biting skin even through the thickest of sweaters. It left everyone in a dreary mood, and the only brief breaks we got were the D.A meetings that were both few and far between.

It was after a D.A meeting now that I sat in the Room of Requirement, curled up on the couch with Luna Lovegood while attending to a large bruise that bloomed across her cheek. It was the remains of a punishment from one of the Carrows, the purple of the bruise a horrible reminder of what happens outside the walls of the room.

"It should heal just fine, Luna." I said gently as I finished patting the bruise-removal past onto her cheek. "Give it a little while and it'll be as though it was never there at all."

"Thank you, Lily." Luna hummed, reaching up and touching her bruised cheek gently when I pulled my hand away. The paste came off on her fingers a bit, and Luna pursed her lips as she wiped it off on her skirt. "You would be quite apt for a Healer position."

"You think?" I asked as I slid the paste into my pocket. Luna gave a small nod, blonde hair shimmering faintly in the light of the fire. The paleness of her hair would catch my eye every now and then, throwing me back to a time when I was by the fire with a different blonde.

"Oh yes." Luna said, looking at me with bright eyes. "You've got steady hands."

"That's sweet of you, Luna." I said appreciatively, knowing a Lovegood compliement should never be taken lightly. They were, if nothing else, completely honest. "Now- Would you like to leave? I have a few more things to sort through, and I'd hate to keep you from dinner."

"Are you certain?" Luna asked, pale brows furrowed slightly. "I'd hate to leave you alone, especially with the sightings that have been happening."

My eyebrows raised at that. "Sightings?"

"Of the Umgubular Slashkilter." Luna said matter-of-factly. "One of them was seen on the ground floor of the school. It would be rather unfortunate if you were to run into one- They can be rather nasty. Though the witch-twins tend to spend more time on that floor anyway, so it's best if you not go near there at all."

"I will keep that in mind. Thanks for the tip, Luna." I said gratefully, if not a little bewildered. "But please, go on- I won't be too long, but I don't want you to eat cold food." I said, and Luna smiled.

"Kind of you. I suppose I shall see you then." Luna said, patting my hand in an awkwardly fond gesture before she rose from her seat and headed for the door, making sure to peek out and check that the hallway was clear before she left me alone.

Standing, I made my way over to the cupboards the Room had provided for me. Each shelf had a specific potion genre on it, ranging from blood-replenishing potions to calming draughts. It was a rather useful nook, and I was quite pleased when it had appeared, allowing me a safe and secret place to stow my utilities, but also a place where, if I was not around, other D.A members could locate them.

Sliding off the make-shift utility belt(A Christmas gift from Neville), I emptied out its pockets before I hung it up beside the cupboard, meanwhile shoving the bruise paste into my pocket. The paste was something I kept on me at all times, as it was the most needed.

Exiting the room, I made sure the door shut completely before I walked down the hallway. Turning the corner, I could see Luna's fair head not too far away, her dreamy expression as she stared up at a portrait that hung on the wall. I made to approach when out of the corner of my eye something dark caught my attention, and the scream came from Luna's mouth before it could leave mine.