Chapter 94

"You know, I'm not entirely sure how anyone has ever read these and been able to say they were appropriate for children," Theo mumbled, flipping through the pages of The Tales of Beedle the Bard. He frowned , apparently finding something to be particularly troubling before he shut the book. "Not that muggle stories are much better. Though I bet Sleeping Beauty never had a hairy heart."

"Depends on which variation you tell," Lavender told him with a shrug. I nodded in agreement, my main focus being on the baby in my lap and the tiny fingers wrapped around my thumb. Tonks and Remus had wanted an evening out, and I– or the three of us, rather– had agreed to babysit.

"I think he's much more interested in sleep anyway," I sighed, watching as Teddy's eyes slid shut, the yellow color of his hair fading into his natural, warm brown as he fell asleep. It always settled for a few minutes before he started dreaming, and then his hair would begin shifting again. "I can't believe he's nearly eight months already."

"And he's got the teething crankiness to prove it," Theo said with a grimace. I chuckled a little at the thought, smiling as I tapped Teddy's nose gently and watched as the pale skin scrunched into a pig's snout. It turned back to normal after a few seconds, though I smiled as his hair began to turn from brown to a deep purple.

"Aw, he's not so bad when he's asleep," Lavender sighed, resting her chin atop her hand. She stood in the kitchen, leaning on the connected counter to join the conversation. "Much less crying, much more adorable. Sort of makes it worth it."

"Maybe if you squint," Theo muttered, peering down at The Tales of Beedle the Bard perched on his lap with a frown. "Honestly, who cleared these for children? I'm terrified. And I've seen Lavender without makeup."

"You're really asking to be hexed, Nott," Lavender told him, blue eyes narrowed.

"Not in front of the child," Theo told her, head tilting over towards the door when a knock came from the wood, followed by a familiar voice calling out, "We're here for the baby!"

"Always such a drama queen," I murmured, rolling my eyes. I adjusted Teddy on my lap, determined I couldn't stand without waking him, and nodded towards Theo. "Could you get that before they break the door?"

Theo narrowed his eyes at me but nodded. "Since you asked so nicely," he said, rising up from his spot on the chair to open the door. Sirius was the first one to step inside the apartment, followed by Tonks and Remus. I smiled at the sight, though quirked an eyebrow at the appearance of my father.

"Did he crash your date?" I teased Tonks as she reached for her son, the transfer smooth enough that the only thing Teddy did was squirm for a moment before his head slumped onto Tonks's shoulder. She frowned at me, looking a little puzzled herself.

"What? No, he and–"

"Dora!" Sirius's interruption was sharp, grey eyes narrowing suspiciously towards my friend. Tonks looked back at him, hair turning a faint rose color. Her smile was sheepish.

"Sorry," she said, shifting Teddy onto her hip. "I didn't know."

"Didn't know what?" Lavender chimed unhelpfully from the kitchen; her eyes gleamed with curiosity, and though I frowned at her for the nosiness, I found myself leaning towards the same question as I looked over to my father. Beside him, Remus looked intensely smug.

"Told you they were going to find out sooner or later."

"With no help from you!" Sirius huffed, turning on his best friend with a half-hearted look of displeasure. Remus, who didn't seem the slightest apologetic, shrugged. With another huff, Sirius turned from him, and looked back to me with a grimace.