Chapter 42

Chapter 42

Draco's hand brushed lightly against my back, rubbing circles near the base of my spine as my head rested against his shoulder. We had spoken little since I had arrived, both of us preferring the steady sound of silence. My fingers were intertwined with the ones of his free hand.

When he coughed I would only hide my face in his shirt, trying to block out the noise. There was nothing I could do, and it pained him when I tried. It made me feel useless, but he didn't wish for comfort or sympathy. Just me. Just a normal day- Or as normal as a day can be, when one spends most of it bedridden.

"How long can you stay?" He spoke softly, his voice sounding more hoarse than it had yesterday. I frowned softly, giving a small shrug. "I wasn't really given a time frame- I should probably head back before dinner though."

"So no time at all, then." He said jokingly, his lips brushing against my temple. I smiled with him, knowing he was right- it was only ten in the morning, after all. We had awhile. I was about to lean up, planning to press a kiss to his cheek when he coughed, hiding his face in the sleeve of his shirt. I frowned, moving away so he could sit up on the edge of the bed, hunched over. I hated seeing him like this- the harsh coughs sounded painful. I placed a hand lightly on his shoulder as he finished, gasping quietly for air.

"Draco.." I mumbled softly as he slumped back against me, breathing heavily as he hid his face in my shirt, his fingers gripping onto the fabric tightly. I slid my arm around him, holding him close as I rested my head on his. I let my hand wander his back, massaging lightly as he caught his breath. His pupils had dilated, leaving them wide and round as he stared at the ground, looking timid and scared after the brief moment he could not control. I bit my lip, letting my fingers tighten slightly around his shirt. I had to keep him with me- I refused to let him disappear into his daze, lost and confused.

"Potter." He breathed quietly as I brushed the hair out of his face, watching him with concern as he regained his breath, letting out a soft sigh. I was about to retract my hand when he took it in his own, pressing a light kiss to the back of my hand, then turning it around to kiss my wrist. I watched silently as he looked up at me, grey eyes dark. I stared back evenly as he moved forward on his knees till we were face to face, his hand reaching out to tuck a strand of hair behind my ear.

"I'm going to miss you, wherever I'm going." He murmured softly, sighing. The words hit me with a pang of sharp emotion, loss wracking itself through my body. Sadness,grief, depression- those emotions would make you feel numb. Loss was more sharp and sudden of an emotion, something that would hit you suddenly and then never go away. I didn't know who moved first, if it was me or him, but soon enough I found myself wrapped in his arms, his lips on mine. My arms instinctually wrapped around his neck, fingers bunching up his shirt. I could feel him almost trembling under my touch. We'd kissed many a time before- in peace, in desperation, and in happiness. But never like this. This was full of passion, and grief. He was losing me just as I was going to lose him.

His hands ran up my sides, my shirt starting to ride up as he pulled me closer. I felt like the breath had been taking from my lungs, my breathing heavy and deep. My fingers tangled themselves in his hair, tugging lightly when he nipped at my lips. My mind had become scrambled, only flashes of thought behind my actions. When he broke apart from me I made a sound of protest, only to watch with wide eyes as he pulled his shirt off, revealing the upper half of his body to me. I'd never seen him like that before, and I took a moment to take him all in, from the Dark Mark that was printed out on his left arm to the scratch mark that blazed across the right side of his ribs.

"What's this from?" I asked quietly, letting my finger trace over the long, thin mark. Draco smiled grimly, nuzzling my neck gently as he pulled me in closer to him, his breath hot against my skin.