Chapter 28.

Ryan bit his lip, staring anxiously at Harry. Harry raises an eyebrow, tilting his head in confusion. "What, you think I did this?" Harry gasped, gesturing to himself by placing two hands on his chest.

Ryan shrugged, scratching his head awkwardly and Harry could feel anger boiling inside him, his jaw clenching. "Yeah, real smooth guys. I'd write a threat to myself, making sure that more than half of my DNA was on the bloody letter and then gladly hand it over to the police. Get real, guys!" Harry exclaimed, glaring at Ryan.

Niall fell silent, knowing fine well that Harry wasn't stupid enough to do so. Ryan was deluded like every other person who knew Harry and he, too, had a hard time liking him. "Well, you say your family don't know where you live and Gemma is out of the question, so..." Ryan trailed off when he saw Harry lunging at him, attempting to punch him but Niall was ahead of him, standing in between the pair as a barrier like he did for Harry and Louis when they first met.

"Harry, remember what you promised. You weren't gonna hit any of my friends." Niall soothed, his hands pressed on Harry's chest which was rising and falling rapidly with anger. "Yeah, well, things have changed since then." Harry retorted, his hand clenched into a fist.

"Harry," Niall warned, his eyes filled with worry as he pushed Harry back against the table. Harry glared at Ryan for a second before remaining confused. Harry stared into Niall’s pleading and desperate eyes, finally unclenching his hands and sighing deeply. “You need to teach me how to resist a pouty look like yours, Ni.” Harry teased with a weak smile and Niall chuckled, feeling relieved. “Guys. So if it’s not Harry, then who is it?” Ryan asked, clearing his throat and interrupting the pair. Niall turned round and stared at the threatening letter, biting hard on his bottom lip.

“That’s what we’re gonna find out. Thanks, Ryan.” Niall added with a smile before grabbing Harry’s arm and the letter and taking them both back up to Louis. “Well?” Louis asked immediately, turning round to face them. “The DNA match is a seventy percent match to Harry.” Niall explained and Louis’ eyes widened.

“Which only narrowed it down, too…” Louis trailed off, nodding encouragingly to Niall. Niall glanced at Harry before looking back at Louis again. “Harry’s mother.” Niall said in a quiet voice, waiting for Harry to go off on one. Harry’s body tensed, becoming like a statue rooted to the spot. “No…” Harry croaked, slightly confused. “No?” Niall repeated, feeling just as puzzled as Harry did. “I don’t want anything to do with her.” Harry mumbled, slumping himself down on a swivel seat and bowing his head, fiddling with his fingers on his lap. Niall and Louis exchanged glances, both of them feeling the exact same pity for Harry.

“Take him back to your place, Niall. Make sure he’s safe. I shouldn’t have let you go back to your own place, Harry, I never realized it’d still be dangerous.” Louis sighed, running a hand through his tousled hair. Niall nodded cheerfully and took Harry’s arm again, leading him outside and taking him home. The ride to Niall’s flat was silent. Niall didn’t want to say a word because he was afraid Harry would lash out on him if did. Anyway, Harry was distant, lost in thought, his mind in another place as he stared blankly ahead. Niall guessed Harry was in a little shock.

Harry stumbled out of the car and followed Niall up to his flat, greeted by Zayn and Liam minutes later. “Hey, Harry! How are you?” Zayn asked cheerfully. Harry’s eyes wavered over to Zayn, not really taking in what he had said before staring blankly ahead again as he sat on one of the plump armchairs. Zayn gave Niall a puzzled look but Niall shook his head in reply, waving his hand dismissively.

Liam appeared in the room seconds later, his hands in his sweats pockets. “Hey, Harry!” Liam grinned but Harry ignored him, breathing heavily. Liam turned to Niall, heading over to the kitchen. “What’s up with him?” Liam frowned, nodding toward Harry. “Just a little shock at work, that’s all. Just give him time.” Niall advised him with a smile, patting Liam’s shoulder. Liam nodded and grabbed a DVD from the shelf before joining Harry, sitting himself on the sofa. “Are you back with us now, Harry?” Liam asked simply and this time, Harry looked up. “Yeah, I think so.” Harry confirmed with a nod and Liam beamed. “Great! I have someone to watch movies with now. Zayn’s been a pain in the arse and watch anything with me.” Liam complained, pouting a little.

“Have not! I told you I’d watch one with you when I have time.” Zayn shot defensively and Liam scoffed. “You didn’t say anything, Z, you were too busy snogging the face out of that girlfriend of yours, Perrie.” Liam frowned and Zayn blushed, suddenly feeling shy and Harry’s head perked up, grinning devilishly. “Someone jealous, Li?” Niall teased, wiggling his eyebrows at Liam and Liam rolled his eyes, chucking a pillow at Niall but Niall ducked and it ended up on the kitchen counter instead, luckily not breaking anything.

“What happened to Danielle?” Harry asked curiously, munching on a bit of popcorn as he stared at Liam. “Oh, I’m still with her. Niall’s just been a dick.” Liam shrugged, munching at the popcorn as well as they began to watch the movie, Transformers. “Niall can never be a dick.” Harry muttered defensively under his breath but Liam heard him and he smirked a little but decided not to say a word.

Niall hummed happily as he sauntered over, snatching the bowl of popcorn off of Liam and perching himself on Harry’s knee, Harry draping an arm around him, lifting his head up to kiss Niall. Zayn and Liam exchanged knowing glances before they nodded and Liam got up, heading into their bedrooms. Harry noticed the sudden movement and frowned, pulling away. “Liam? I thought you guys wanted to watch a movie?” Harry pouted and Liam chuckled. “I do, but I think you want Niall more, Harry.” Liam smiled and closed the door behind him. Niall chuckled and slid off Harry’s knee, setting the popcorn down on the table. “Hey, who said I was done cuddling you?” Harry frowned and Niall gave Harry an innocent look. “Nobody?”

“Exactly.” Harry replied and grabbed Niall by the waist, pulling him close to him. The lights were dim as the screen flashed colours at them but they weren’t even paying attention to the movie. Instead, they kissed each other, feeling every inch of each other’s body. Harry’s large hand glazed over Niall’s thigh before it reached to the hem of his t-shirt and he attempted to pull it over his head, but Niall protested. “Not today.” Niall warned, panting a little as he pushed Harry’s hands back down. “Why not? Liam and Zayn know not to bother us.” Harry pouted and Niall chuckled nervously. “I know that, it’s just…not today.” Niall smacked his lips together, gazing shyly at Harry. Harry sighed, giving in but keeping a firm hold on Niall’s waist. “All right…I’ll wait.” Harry promised, getting himself comfortable on the sofa. “Thank you.” Niall smiled and they both turned to the screen.

“Harry?” Niall asked suddenly and Harry hummed in reply.

“What are you going to do about your mother?” Niall asked uncertainly and Harry huffed, setting the popcorn back on the table. “Nothing. I don’t want anything to do with her.” Harry answered and Niall frowned. “So you’re just going to…let her ruin your life some more?” Niall asked in disbelief and Harry’s jaw clenched. “She’s being ruining my life since the day I was born, Niall. I don’t think a few more years will hurt any less.” Harry spat and Niall winced at his tone.

“But…you can’t just let her get away with what she’s done. She’s treated you like shit, and still is! No mother should-“

“Just drop it, okay?! I can’t face her and I don’t think I’ll ever be able to. I don’t know what to do.” Harry finally admitted, his body trembling with a mixture of anger and fear. Niall thought hard. “Maybe you don’t have to do anything. Maybe Louis and I can sort it out for you? We’d protect you, y’know.” Niall suggested softly and Harry smiled weakly. “Thanks, Ni, but you guys have done so much for me already…I don’t to feel even guiltier than I already do.” Harry replied stubbornly and Niall rolled his eyes. “But we want to protect you. Besides, it’s our job.” Niall shrugged and Harry sighed. “All right, but…I should warn you. The woman’s a bitch. You don’t know what she’s capable of.” Harry warned and he was surprised when Niall burst out laughing.

“I didn’t know what you were capable of yet I still managed to wrap you under my finger.” Niall pointed out sheepishly and Harry joined in with his laughter.

“All right, point taken.”

___________________

Decided to give you all a Christmas update as an early Christmas present from me. Please comment? I love your feedback, I love what you're all thinking! 20 detailed comments please? Thank you so much guys! Merry Christmas and I hope "Santa" is good to you all :) Mwah xx