Chapter 27.

Harry stood outside his flat door, his hand hovering over the handle. It had been a week since someone had broken into his flat, but Harry was still afraid and that was something he'd only admit to himself. He would've stayed with Niall, but he wanted Niall to catch up with his sleep first and catch up with Zayn and Liam.

He was hesitating though, debating whether to head back to Nialls or not. Niall had gladly said he was welcome to stay, but he wasn't sure. Then again, Louis had promised Harry that his flat would be back to normal by the time he got back. "Hello, Mr Styles. It's nice to see you back again." His neighbor, Mrs Marlin beamed. She was an old woman, in her early seventies at least, and the only woman who believed how troubled Harry really was.

"You have a lovely tan. Been anywhere nice over the new year’s?" she asked politely and Harry chuckled. "Yeah, I went to Florida with an old friend. Just got back yesterday." Harry smiled and Mrs Marlin nodded. "It's about time you got a quick escape, you needed it." she said and Harry chuckled but then a thought occurred to him.

"Did you perhaps see someone break into my house last week, Mrs Marlin?" Harry asked carefully and her blue eyes widened. "Oh goodness, dear, no. I was out visiting my granddaughter over Christmas. I just got back yesterday, like you. If I saw anything, I'd let you know." Mrs Marlin assured him and Harry nodded.

"Why don't you tell that cop of yours? You seem to be pretty friendly with him." Mrs Marlin suggested innocently and Harry smirked silently, knowing fine well that Mrs Marlin knew just how friendly he was with Niall, judging by how many times Niall had come to his flat, or how many times he had disappeared to go to his.

"He already knows. They're, eh...they're sorting it out." Harry smiled and Mrs Marlin beamed. "That little Irish boy has done you good, hasn't he? He's made you happy." It wasn't a question, more of a statement. "Yeah, he...I really like him." Harry admitted and Mrs Marlin beamed.

"Well, why don't you tell him then?" Mrs Marlin challenged and Harry's face fell, Mrs Marlin noticing. "There's something on your mind. Would you like to come in for a cup of tea?" she offered and Harry nodded, Mrs Marlin opening the door for him.

"Now, tell me what you're thinking." she smiled as they sat down on her plump sofa and offered a tea to Harry in her fancy china. "Niall and I...I can't tell him I like him, because we can't be together." Harry began and she frowned. "What? Who said that?"

"Niall did. Well, it was his boss really. His boss told about this one stupid rule at the start of his case...that we couldn't be together. Because if we are then, I've put Niall in danger. And he's right. Y'know, he can loose his job? If his boss finds out? And I'm scared because...I think he's close to finding out." Harry explained and Mrs Marlin listened hard.

"What do you mean, he's close to finding out?" she pressed and Harry sighed. "Well, a while back...I got Niall kidnapped. I'm sure you've heard it on the news and Louis was right, it was my fault. If we hadn't been dating then, then Niall wouldn't have been kidnapped and after that, he told me to move out. That's the only reason Sean and Matt kidnapped him, was too get to me. And y'know, it worked. Whoever they were working for, knew me well." Harry continued and Mrs Marlin nodded.

"It seems to me that this Louis person doesn't want Niall to be happy." Mrs Marlin suggested and Harry looked up. "What?"

"Well, if you think about it, it kind of explains a lot. You moving in with Niall too make him happy and then Louis asking you to move out...I think Louis just wants Niall to get his job none. I don't think he cares about his happiness at all." Mrs Marlin suggested and Harry was surprised.

"Really? I thought it was because he was a homophobic git and couldn't stand me." Harry admitted and Mrs Marlin chuckled. "Well, that could also be a problem. But tell me, does this "rule" about not being together with anyone fall under girls too?" Mrs Marlin asked and Harry thought about Niall telling him how he hadn't had a girlfriend in quite some time.

"Yes." Harry nodded and Mrs Marlin sighed. "Poor kid, Niall." Mrs Marlin whispered and Harry gnawed at his bottom lip. "Look, at least Niall's still giving you the chance to see you. He must really like you if he's willing to lose his job for you." Mrs Marlin smiled but Harry frowned.

"Yeah, but...he loves his job. And I don't want to be the reason for him losing it and that's not what I want. I want to be able to hold his hand in public...too look into his eyes and tell him how much I like him and I think Florida was the only chance I really got to be alone with him." Harry admitted bashfully and Mrs Marlin smiled.

"Well, things are going well, just now aren't they? I'd say wait until his case is over, then you could be with him. You're not one of his victims anymore." Mrs Marlin beamed and a new ray of hope filled Harry. She was right. Harry still had a chance to be with Niall, when all this was over...but, Harry had a feeling this was going to end badly, now that Niall knew the truth. Well, part of it.

"Thanks Mrs Marlin...for the tea. I should go now." Harry smiled polity, excusing himself from Mrs Marlin and saying goodbye to her. He bravely entered his flat, only to find that everything was back to normal. There was no dagger lying on the floor, no nothing.

His suitcase lay at his bed, not unpacked. Sighing deeply, he sauntered over to his bed and curled up into a ball and just like that, he burst into tears. He was finally able to cry. To be honest, he didn't even know why he was crying. He was crying for Niall and Gemma for caring too damn much about him and crying for Louis for not letting Niall be happy, and crying for Zayn and Liam for having to put up with him and crying for Mrs Marlin, an innocent woman who had been too kind too him over the past three years. Crying for everybody but himself, because he doesn't deserve one shed of tear. He may be a martyr, but he deserved to be. He had nothing.

His life was in one big ball and shit and he didn't know how to sort it out, because he doesn't have anybody. He couldn't trust anybody with the truth so he thought it was safe to keep it bottled up inside him. He waited for sleep to come, but it didn’t. You’d think he’d want to sleep after being so incredibly jet-lagged, but it didn’t come. So he lay on top of his bed, his hands clasped together across his stomach, his eyes red and blotchy from the lack of sleep and crying so much. He needed a shower too, but he didn’t have the energy to get up and do so. So instead he continued to stare up at the ceiling, feeling like a cold and emotionless bastard. The only thing that made him snap back to reality was a letter slipping through the door, specially addressed to him.

With his door wide open, he had a clear view of the front door and he could see the letter and he frowned suspiciously. That’s odd. Harry never got mail. Nobody who cared about him knew where he lived apart from Gemma and Niall. Slowly, he got up off his bed and crept over to the door. He grabbed a paper tissue and feebly opened it with shaking hands. He didn’t recognise the writing but he got a fright when he read the note, feeling more scared than ever. It read:

I will always be watching you.

In big, red bold writing. Harry shoved the note in his hoodie and grabbed his wallet, flipping his hood and heading over to Niall’s work. Even if it was somebody who knew where he lived, it wasn’t the time of day to receive mail anyway. It was just odd. The person who sent it obviously knew Harry was home and wanted to see it when he did. He ran to Niall’s work, not caring that he wasn’t supposed to visit him during working hours. This was important, and beginning to freak the living daylight out of Harry. He was bloody terrified.

Wiping his dry and sore eyes with the back of his sleeve, he entered Niall’s department and stood at his desk, but he wasn’t there. “Where’s Niall?” Harry immediately asked Louis who stood at his own desk. “He went to get some tea. Why, what’s up?” Louis frowned curiously but Harry shook his head, heading over to the coffee and tea maker in the kitchen. “Niall.” Harry gasped when he entered the kitchen, just in time to see Niall flip a tea bag into the bin. “Harry, what are you-?”

“I got this in the mail, just there.” Harry interrupted, rushed and breathless as he handed the letter over to Niall. Niall’s eyes widened as he read the note, his mouth wide open. “And you were in the house when you got this?” Niall asked and Harry nodded quickly. Niall sat his tea on the table and brushed past Harry, heading for Louis. “Harry just got this, Lou. While he was at home.” Niall informed and he watched him take it all in.

“Take it down to Ryan. And take Harry with you.” Louis instructed and Niall gave an abrupt nod. “Just what I was about to do.” Niall mumbled and pulled at Harry’s arm, taking him down the stairs. “Who’s Ryan?” Harry asked curiously. “Ryan’s our forensic scientist for the team.” Niall explained. “Oh.”

“What can I do for you today, Niall?” Ryan smiled and Niall handed him the letter. “I need you to run the DNA from the finger prints off of this letter.” Niall explained and Ryan glanced at Harry, narrowing his eyes at him. “All right.” Ryan sighed, although he sounded reluctant to do so. Niall and Harry watched as Ryan scanned the finger prints for DNA results, waiting patiently. When a positive match appeared on the screen, Ryan turned to Harry, frowning at him.

“Harry, why is your DNA match seventy percent positive on this letter?”

____________________

Hi guys! Thought I'd give you guys a double update since I have a lack of inspiration on my other story right now. Plus, I really enjoy writing this story. I'm loving all the feedback I'm getting for this story, I just wish I could get a little more? Is that too much to ask? 20 detailed comments? Can't wait to hear it! Love you guys :)