Chapter 5.

Niall stayed clear from Harry and his case over the next few days. He busied himself with other studies, other cases that he needed finished and done. He tried his best but it doesn't stop his mind thinking about the curly-haired Cheshire lad at all. It wasn't until Louis gave him a next order that he finally decided to give in.

"Niall. There's been a murder down South, and we think it's related to Harry's case. We need you to come along." Louis sighed, a gentle hand on Nialls shoulder. Niall nodded and reluctantly left after Louis, grabbing his gear as he did so. Niall sat in the passenger’s seat next to Louis as he drove in the Jeep, feeling slightly nervous. "Whose body is it?" Niall asked self-cautiously and Louis hesitated before answering.

"Well it's not Harry's, that's for sure. But they're gonna double check. It's female, by the way." Louis added matter-of-faculty and Niall nodded, sighing deeply. When they arrived at the flat in the small area, Niall didn't know what to expect but he sure as hell didn't expect to see what he saw. Hannah's body (Harry's girlfriend) was lying flat on the floor on her back when they walked in. Her hair was blonde and flowing and her eyes were staring, lifeless, up at the ceiling. Her mouth was in a thin line and her chest wasn't moving. Her arms were sprawled out by her side and a number of cuts and bruises plastered her hands as if she struggled with the fight for life.

She wore a pair of denim shorts and a vest but on the vest, was a patch of deep red blood were the knife was inserted at her lower abdomen. The knife lay next to her, pointing directly up to her face as she lay there. Niall gulped, taking aimless pictures of the body and marking in the crime scene. Louis wrinkled his nose at the sight and bent down to pick up the knife with a plastic glove, shoving it in a plastic bag. "Murder weapon?" Louis guessed and Niall nodded. "Maybe it was the guy you saw hold a gun to Harry?" Louis suggested warily but Niall shook his head. "Nah, that guy had a gun." Niall assured him. "Could've been a cover up. Besides, you both said they were arguing over a girl. Maybe it was her." Louis said thoughtfully and Niall frowned.

"If they were arguing over a girl, why would he kill her instead of trying to win her over? Like a normal person would?" Niall challenged and Louis shrugged. "Maybe he was trying to make a point. Or maybe she couldn't be won over." Louis replied and Niall scoffed, bending down to examine Hannah's body. "Well, whoever the killer is, he's weak. His tactics are messy and sloppy and he won't get very far." Niall explained and Louis nodded, heading out the room to talk to some of the police. Niall bit his lip, his eyes scanning over the poor girl and all he could think about was that he had to tell Harry that it happened.

That afternoon, Niall headed down to autopsy where another scientist was to examine Hannah’s body. Biting his thumbnail, Niall pushed open the doors and greeted his scientist, Ryan. “Anything?” Niall asked desperately and Ryan smiled. “Well, she did put up at fight, that’s for sure. She has scratches and bruises all up her arms.” Ryan commented and Niall nodded in agreement. “Yeah, I saw that. What else?” he pressed and Ryan sighed, walking round to her lifeless body. “The knife was quickly inserted to her stomach so she didn’t even have a chance to live. But, I was examining her stomach and I did find something peculiar that you’d find interesting…” Ryan trailed off, grabbing a wand-like device and running a liquid over her stomach and a grey and black image appeared on the screen of one of the machines. “She was pregnant,” Niall breathed and Ryan nodded knowingly. “Sadly, so. But it died as soon as she was stabbed.” Ryan said sadly and Niall’s heart sank at the thought. It just got worse and worse, didn’t it? “Did you find out who the father was?” Niall asked curiously and Ryan smirked. “Take a guess.” He challenged and Niall rolled his eyes. “Harry.” he answered his question and Ryan nodded. “Thanks, mate.” He patted his friend on the back and left autopsy in a hurry.

After that, Niall searched for Harry days after days. But strangely enough, he couldn’t find him. He stood waiting by the Starbucks every morning like an idiot but he didn’t once come. He went to the music store, supermarket, in hope that he’d find him there but he never did. Niall finally gave up hope in finding him one time he returned from work when he spotted his file lying at the side of his desk. It was Harry’s. Frowning, he opened it and realized that a new address had been added to Harry’s location; somewhere near where he lived. With his heart quickening, he grabbed his car keys and badge and headed out, driving as quickly as he could.