Chapter 4.

When Niall woke up the next day, it was broad lay light. He woke up with a groan, feeling the irritating thump of his head that was also known as a hangover. How drunk did he get last night? His question was answered when he couldn’t remember anything that happened. “Morning, sleeping beauty.” A familiar voice called and Niall let out a second groan. The man chuckled in reply, followed by footsteps. When Niall peeled his eyes open, he realized that Liam was hovering over him and when he looked around the place, he sooner found that he was lying on his own couch in his own flat.

“How did I get here?” he asked stupidly and Liam smirked. “Zayn and I found you outside the pub last night. You were completely out of it.” Liam grinned, a teasing smirk on his face. “Why did you let me get that drunk?” Niall moaned and Liam smirked again. “Because it looked like you needed it. You’ve been working too hard for your own good, mate. I hope that Louis is paying you enough.” Liam raised an eyebrow and Niall rolled his eyes. Once Liam had walked away, Niall’s eyes fell on a black, leather jacket sitting over the arm rest of the sofa. He reached over for it, grasping it in his hands and he immediately caught a whiff of strong smoke and alcohol. “Uh…about that. You had it on you last night. You don’t recognize it, do you?” Liam questioned and Niall shook his head, his mind blank and Liam gave a knowing smile.

“I thought you wouldn’t. It’s a men’s jacket, by the way. I’m just surprised how you ended up with it.” Liam admitted, frowning anxiously and Niall shrugged, dropping the jacket and running a hand through his messy blonde hair. “When I have a few pills knocked in me and I take a hot sure, I’ll remember.” Niall joked half heartily and Liam chuckled, heading over to the kitchen to make Niall a hot mug of tea. Once Niall had come out the shower, he headed back to the jacket with a plane white towel wrapped around his waist as he was dripping wet from the shower. Clutching the hem of the towel tightly to his lower half, he picked up the jacket with his free hand to investigate. He didn’t recognize it at all and nor, could he wonder why he was given a men’s jacket in the first place.

“I didn’t…hook up with a guy last night, did I?” Niall asked uncertainly and Liam spluttered with laughter, causing Niall to cringe because of his sore head. “Are you kidding? We saw you sitting out in the freezing cold, it’s highly doubtful you hooked up with a guy. We saw you leave earlier than us but we assumed you had had enough and we left you to it.” Liam shrugged, smiling apologetically at Niall who shook his head dismissively. “I’ll take it down to work on Monday, too see who gave me it.” Niall decided with a sigh, hanging it over the kitchen chair. “Where is Zayn by the way?” Niall frowned, suddenly realizing that his second best friend was missing. “Zayn…went out for a walk. With his girlfriend.” Liam smiled, handing Niall his tea. Niall cocked an eyebrow, tilting his head to the side and Liam giggled. “Zayn? And a girlfriend? Why do I have a hard time believing you?” he said sarcastically and Liam laughed.

“Trust me, I didn’t believe him either when he said he had a date with Perrie.” He admitted and Niall smiled. “Perrie.” Niall repeated, trying to think if he’d heard the name before but he hadn’t. “She must seem nice, if she’s good enough for Zayn.” Niall admitted and Liam nodded in agreement.

That Monday, the following week, Niall headed to the forensic scientist department to ask who owned the leather jacket. He managed to sneak past Louis and headed downstairs to the lower level, where the basements were and he was greeted by Nick, his very own forensic scientist. “Well, if it isn’t my favorite agent.” Nick beamed, thumping Niall on the back who grinned in reply. “What can I do for you?” he questioned, his face becoming serious. “I need you to run the fingerprints on this jacket. I don’t know whose it is, you see.” Niall explained sheepishly and Nick smirked. “Late night, I guess?” he teased and Niall nodded sheepishly in reply, making Nick laugh. “All righty, let’s see.” Nick sighed, taking the jacket in his own hands too scan the finger prints.

A couple of seconds later, a beeping noise was to be heard and a flashing green light appeared on the screen. There was a slight pause and Niall stared at the name on the screen, completely gob smacked. “Niall, what the hell are you doing with Harry Styles’ jacket?” he asked, sounding surprised. Niall blanched, staring at the picture of Harry on the screen. “I don’t know, remember? That’s why I asked you.” Niall covered up, trying his best to look convincing. Nick let out a deep sigh, handing the jacket over. “Does Louis know what you’re up too?” Nick asked suspiciously and Niall answered too quickly for his liking. “Yes. Even if he didn’t, it’s my case. Harry Styles is my case.” He said, almost defensively and Nick nodded, with a light shrug.

“Whatever you say, Horan.” Nick replied and watched the Irish lad leave in a quick haste. At his break, Niall headed to their local Starbucks where he knew with no doubt, Harry would be there. Sure enough, he found the curly-haired lad wearing a pale green beanie, a pair of tight jeans on and a white t-shirt underneath a button down shirt. He was about to head into the café when Niall stopped him, pushing him away from the doors, causing him to grunt. “Who do you think you are, lending me your stupid jacket when you know fine well I could get in trouble?!” Niall shouted right in Harry’s face. To say Harry was baffled was understatement. His eyes went wide, his mouth agape.

“Jeez, a thank you would nice. If I didn’t see you, you’ve probably got hypothermia.” Harry argued back, a troubled frown on his face. Niall paused, gazing up at Harry in confusion. “What do you mean?” Niall questioned and amusement was plastered on Harry’s face. “You mean, you don’t remember? You tried to get into a fight with a bad guy and I stopped him. You’re welcome, by the way. I basically saved you twice.” Harry mumbled stubbornly. “Oh…thank you.” Niall finally said, sounding quiet. Harry rolled his eyes, a small smirk on his face. “No worries. You can keep that jacket, I won’t be needing it.” He added, lifting his jacket off his chest and handing it back over to Niall. “No. It’s much better you take it.” Niall argued softly, refusing to take the jacket and Harry sighed impatiently, slinging the hook with his finger over his back.

“You really are stubborn, aren’t you?” Harry teased and Niall raised an eyebrow, feeling slightly offended. “Says you!” Niall retorted back and Harry laughed. “I’m kidding.” Harry teased and Niall rolled his eyes. “See ya.” Harry finally said, waving Niall off as he headed over the other direction.

When Niall went home that night, Liam and Zayn were there to greet him, as always. “Hey.” Liam smiled and Niall greeted him back. “Did you find out whose jacket that was?” Liam asked and an amused smirk was plastered on Zayn’s face. “Yes, I did. And funnily enough, it was Harry Styles’.” Niall admitted and they both stopped to stare at him. “What on Earth were you doing with him?” Liam asked, stunned. “I was drunk, wasn’t I? God knows who else I was with.” Niall shrugged and Zayn shuddered at the thought. “I couldn’t even bare to touch that Harry kid. He must be horrible.” Zayn said and Liam hummed in agreement. “He’s not as bad as he sounds.” Niall said without thinking and they both gaped at him.

“Since when did you go all soft on Harry?” Liam asked, bemused. Niall blanched, shrugging in reply and heading off to his bedroom to change. He didn’t want them bothering him about Harry any longer. That’s all his life seemed to consist of now. Harry this, Harry that. What had he gotten himself into? And what did Harry mean? Niall didn’t understand the lad at all. He didn’t understand how someone could act so bad and dangerous in the outside but be cute and innocent in the inside? He confused him to say at the very least.

Biting his lip, Niall walked across his room to stare out his window and found Harry again. He scoffed at the sight, realizing how typical it was when he had just been thinking about him. He was waiting for something- or someone, by the looks of it. And when she appeared, Harry’s whole face lit up at the sight of her, his dimples showing. He wrapped his muscular arms around her and Niall’s insides stirred a little with disappointing, wondering why he wasn’t the reason for that smile.

___________________

Hi guys! So I see I only got about three comments in the last chapter and then like 20 votes which is really annoying. So I've decided to do this thing where I dedicate the next chapter to the best person who commented because I really need feedback with this story, as I really enjoy writing it. Also, if someone says "please upload soon" I'm waiting an extra day to do so, because that's just kind of annoying. I'm really sorry. Also, its dedicated to KayleeJohn because we both love Narry and its a thank you for being so amazing :* love you all, mwah. X