Chapter 19.

Niall blanched, suddenly feeling very self-cautious around Gemma. "How did you know that?" Niall frowned and Gemma giggled. "Well it's not every day a young, charming Irish guy asks me about my brother." She admitted sheepishly and Niall nodded knowingly. "Did you to...get along well?" Niall countered curiously and Gemma exhaled deeply. "We never had the same typical brother/sister relationship any siblings would have growing up. Our mother always kept us apart. When Harry was ill, which was a lot, my mother would never let me tend to him. I was always her favorite. Most of the time she kept him locked up and away from me. She said I was safe then and I thought she was just trying to protect me. She brainwashed me into thinking that my own bother was dangerous. Harry needed me a lot, and I wasn't there for him. I was the one my mother loved most and I'll never understand why. I was the one my mother said good night to, who read bedtime stories too. It was never Harry." Gemma explained sadly and it was then, Niall realized how bad of childhood Harry had.

Niall was speechless for a few silent moments, unsure of what to say. "What happened to you? Why did you all...drift apart?" Niall frowned and Gemma's eyes drifted, lost in thought. "I think Harry decided that he'd have enough. He ran away from home and when he never came back...my mum decided to leave him, taking me with her. She didn't even bother searching for him." Gemma answered in a quiet voice and Niall's lips parted open in shock. "Do you still keep in touch with your mother?" Niall asked hopefully and Gemma's eyes widened with shock. "God, no. She remarried and I left as soon as I got this job." She smiled and Niall nodded, leaning against the bar slightly.

Niall frowned all of a sudden when he noticed thin cuts and scars plastered along Gemma's wrists, and they didn't look accidental. Gemma caught him staring and ducked her arms under the table but Niall caught them, lifting them up to examine them and finally, Gemma broke free from his strong grip. "You-"

"Don't mention it. I'm already ashamed of myself as it is." Gemma muttered furiously and Niall sighed, feeling sympathetic. "Does Harry...?" Gemma asked, trailing off uncertainly and Niall shook his head, causing Gemma to smile weakly. "I guess Harry's a little less sentimental than I am." She said sadly and Niall gnawed at his bottom lip when Gemma paused. "Wait a second. How do know my brother?" she asked suspiciously and Niall cleared his throat. "I've been um...helping him, if you like. He's been causing quite a bit a trouble." He smiled typically and Gemma smirked.

"Why am I not surprised?" she breathed and Niall chuckled. Niall cleared his throat again and leaned down to whisper in Gemma's ear. "What if I told you Harry was in this room, right now?" he said quietly and Gemma's body instantly froze, shivering a little in the process. "Where is he-"

"He has your smile. Take a look around the room." Niall cast her a wink before grabbing a new glass of champagne and walked away from her, his free hand sinking deeply into his pocket and strolled over to Louis who was standing at the edge of the dance floor across the other side. "Put this in your ear. It might help." Louis suggested, holding a small, flesh colored earpiece that stuck in the ear. "Thanks." Niall replied, inserting it in his ear. "Harry has one too." Louis added and Niall nodded. "Harry, can you hear me?" Niall whispered into the earpiece and waited a second. "Loud and clear." Harry replied and Niall couldn't help smiling at the sound of his voice.

"Gemma's seen me." Harry announced suddenly and Niall's head snapped up. Gemma was walking over to Harry at the other side of the room, slow and graceful. "Okay, call us if you need any help." Niall replied and Harry hummed in approval. Niall turned his body to watch the siblings talk. They were both tense around each other, afraid of how the other would react. Gemma was doing all the talking, most likely introducing herself and telling all about herself. Harry was never a talkative person. He was very stubborn anyway.

He heard Harry clear his throat and he looked over, Gemma gesturing them to go a walk outside in the ride garden and Niall instantly knew that was his cue to follow them, staying close behind. Niall knew it was rude to eavesdrop and that he should at least give Harry some well deserved time with his family, but he couldn't trust Gemma after what Harry had suggested. "How do you know Niall?" Gemma asked curiously, Harry obviously telling Gemma about Niall earlier on.

"He's an old friend I've known for quite a while now. He's been a lot of help and I'm grateful for him." Harry answering and Niall couldn't help smiling. "That's good. He's a nice enough lad, I mean, you deserve someone like that in your life." Gemma shrugged and Harry hummed in approval. Niall watched as they continued down the rose path and sat under a canopy on a white bench. Niall stood nearby, out of eyesight.

"So, erm...are you seeing anyone?" Gemma asked warily and there was a slight pause. "I did see someone...for about a year but, uh...she passed away a few months ago." Harry explained, smiling sadly. Gemma's face immediately face, her eyes shining with tears, mirroring Harry's but dared himself not to let another tear fall in front of Gemma. "Oh, I'm so sorry." Gemma sniffed, pulling her younger brother in for a hug.

"What was her name?"

"Hannah and, er...she was pregnant." Harry added with a choked sob and Gemma gasped. "Bloody hell, how did she die? Sorry, you don't need to answer that-"

"She was murdered." Harry said quietly, unable to meet Gemma's gaze. Gemma's reaction instantly made Niall see that she'd never murder Hannah. Gemma probably never even knew Hannah existed until Harry mentioned her. "I'm so sorry." Gemma soothed sympathetically, caressing Harry's back as she rested her cheek on his shoulder. She sighed deeply, gazing out into the open night, wrapping her arm around Harry's. Niall suddenly cleared his throat, approaching the pair carefully. They looked up and they both smiled at the sight of Niall, standing up.

"Thank you...for bringing my brother back." Gemma smiled, squeezing Harry's arm tightly. Niall smiled back, bowing quicker. "I couldn't have asked for a better present." She gushed and Niall's face fell. "Present?" Niall repeated and Gemma giggled. "Oh, yeah. Happy birthday." Harry said cheekily, holding out a bright white rose. Gemma laughed, kissing Harry on the cheek. "Thank you." Gemma smiled after Niall wished her a happy birthday. She waved good-bye to them both and strolled off back inside.

"Well, that's Gemma crossed off the list then." Niall said as soon as Gemma was out of earshot and Harry couldn't help smirking. "Yeah. I feel really guilty though. Can't believe I was dumb enough to think my own sister would actually murder my girlfriend." He sighed, sinking his hands deep into his pockets as Niall linked his arm in his own. "Ex-girlfriend." Niall corrected him with a smirk and Harry smiled apologetically. "Sorry." He mumbled but Niall shook his head. "Wanna head back? I've had enough family reunions for one day." Harry suggested and Niall laughed. "Yeah, I guess. Lemme just go find Lou." He added and began to walk away, but Harry pulled him back.

"I think I saw him earlier, looked like he was having a really good time. Think it's best he kept an eye on Gemma anyway." Harry shrugged, smacking his lips. "Yeah, okay." Niall agreed, grabbing Harry's hand walking out of the cold to his car, removing the ear pieces as he did so. When the pair arrived home, they stumbled in Niall's flat, giggling helplessly. "Harry, your mask is ridiculous. Take it off." Niall demanded, sniggering and reaching up to take it off Harry's head but Harry swiftly pulled away.

"No! I like it. It's stylish." Harry pouted, darting out the way every time Niall attempted to snatch it. Niall giggled continuously and jumped on Harry's back, reaching out to take it off. "Got it!" Niall called delightfully, the mask in his hands as they both landed in a heap on the sofa. Harry grunted, lifting himself up off of Niall. Harry couldn't help smiling at the sight of Niall wriggling beneath him, giggling helplessly. "Now let me see those beautiful eyes of yours." Harry said seductively, gently lifting off Niall's mask and tossing on to the floor. Their shirts and ties were crumpled and they were a state but to be honest, they couldn't care less. A pink glow crept upon Niall's face when Harry's long fingers trailed up his cheeks, across his lips and back down the side again. Harry dipped his head, too eager in wanting to kiss Niall and pressed his lips to his. That same fluttery sensation waved through his body, sending goose bumps on his skin every time he kissed Niall and Harry was sure Niall felt the exact same way.

"Y-you're a good kisser." Niall stuttered shyly and Harry chuckled. "You're not too bad yourself." Harry complimented back, nuzzling his nose against Niall's. Niall reached up to peck his lips again, eager for Harry's touch. The door suddenly burst open and Zayn walked in, swearing loudly at the sight of the pair on the sofa. "Whoa! Guys that is not something a best friend needs to see." Zayn exclaimed and Harry and Niall burst out laughing, turning to look at a horrified Zayn. Niall slid himself out of Harry's grasp and Harry gave him a puzzled look. "Bedroom time." Niall said in a singsong voice, taking Harry's hand. Zayn groaned loudly, shaking his head in disbelief as he watched Harry and Niall strut off to his bedroom. "Shut the door, please!" Zayn called back and a few seconds later, he heard it slam. "Thank you!" he called back, followed by a fit of giggles from Niall's bedroom.

Niall exhaled deeply, lying down on the bed when Harry joined him. Niall watched curiously as Harry leaned over and brought his single pair of hand cuffs from the drawer. "So, Niall. When do I really get to use these?" Harry teased, dangling the handcuffs with the tip of his finger. Niall's face turned that bright pink again, looking up to Harry with innocent eyes. "I'll see." Niall said mysteriously, a sexy glint in his eyes that made Harry's insides turn - in a good way. Grinning wide, Harry dumped the handcuffs in the drawer again, reminding himself to tell Niall what he said some time later. "Can I...can I sleep here?" Harry asked uncertainly, turning round to face Niall again.

"You're more than welcome." Niall smiled back and Harry kissed the top of his nose lightly before they both fell asleep shortly afterwards.

_________________________

Hi guys. So I didn't really get the feedback I was asking for, but that's okay. But please, please, please, continue to comment. I can't stress how important this feedback is to me because I really want it to be a popular story. I promise you, I will upload when I get at least 20 comments, like I always do. Loving the comments so far though :)