Chapter 35.

Niall drove up and parked besides Liam's car, slamming the door shut and putting his police badge in his pocket. He joined Liam who was standing at the front of the garden, surrounded by the police cars and fire trucks. Louis was bound to be about somewhere but he was nowhere to be seen. The road 2qw cut off and crime tape was taped around the flats. "Is he in there?" Niall asked worriedly but Liam gulped, heading into one of the ones with his work mates.

Niall sighed, reaching for his phone and dialling Harry's number which they has exchanged during their first date but never seemed to use them because they saw each other every day anyway. It took a couple of rings for Harry to finally pick up and Nialls heart was in his mouth.

"Harry! Are you okay?! Where are you?!" Niall shouted over the raging fire and Liam was by his side in seconds. "In the bathroom...of my flat....smoke...making it hard....to breathe...." Harry managed to croak, coughing and spluttering in between phrases. Nialls eyes widened as he stared up at the flames licking around the flat. The phone line went dead and Niall placed it back in his pocket.

"Is everybody out?" Niall panicked and Liam nodded, gesturing to the small crowd surrounding the ambulance cars. "I have to go and get him." Niall said firmly, throwing off his jacket and heading toward the flat. "No! Have you seen the state of it? It's too dangerous!" Liam protested. "If that's what I have to do." Niall retorted and Liam frowned.

"I can't lose you over this, Ni." Liam breathed and Niall gulped. "I love him." Niall finally confirmed and Liam's eyes widened, his grip loosening on Nialls arms. Niall took his chance to break free from Liam and darted up the fire escape since the fire was blocking the main entrance. He stumbled through a window to Harry's floor and started coughing almost instantly, the smoke hovering over him. The fire was making its way up the staircase. The elevator had broken completely due to the fumes and the stair well so weak and delicate that it was smashing into pieces, causing more fire and smoke to erupt.

As Niall coughed and spluttered, he made his way round the fire to Harry's flat. He began to push the door handle down but it didn't budge. Shit. Either Harry's killer had locked the door so he couldn't get out or the fumes itself wasn't letting him do it. Breathing deeply, he took a few steps back, making sure that he didn't hit he flames and lunged himself at the door, kicking it first and the door fell apart, landing on its side. Niall grunted and rolled over. He stood up and limped a little into Nialls flat. He pushed the handle down on Harry's door but that too, was locked.

"Harry, it's me. Open up." Niall demanded but there wasn't a reply. Panicking, he tried to launch himself at the door again but it was too hard and he was still limping. He headed into the kitchen and panicking, he grabbed a thin knife. He picked at the lock, hoping the lock would turn and it did. He dropped the knife and pushed the door open. Harry was sitting at the far end of his shower, shaking tremendously with his phone in his hand and hugging a small teddy bear. Niall sighed and walked over to him, bending down.

"Come on Harry, let's go." Niall insisted but Harry shook his head. "There's no point." Harry protested and Niall turned around. "How come?" Niall frowned and Harry coughed. "I've lost everything. He's won." Harry sniffed and Niall frowned. "You haven't lost me." Niall pointed out and this time, it was Harry's turn to frown. "But before, I...I hit you. I thought I-"

"Harry, I came back for you. Doesn't that explain everything?" Niall shot impatiently and Harry winced. "Would you have come back if there wasn't a fire?" Harry challenged and Niall rolled his eyes, knowing what he was getting at. "I'm not just doing my job, okay? Why is it so far for you to believe that I actually care about you?" Niall pressed but Harry fell silent, looking down. There was a sudden large roaring signs and the wall next to Harry fell on top of him, water pipes spraying everywhere but slowly overcome by the fire licking around the bathroom. Harry yelled in pain, pushing himself out the wood and Niall watched in horror as Harry pushed himself more toward the fire, completely oblivious at how close he was to it.

Bracing himself, he bent down toward the shower and slowly and carefully picked Harry up in his arms. Harry cried out in pain as the wood of the wall scraped along his legs, digging into his skin. "Sorry!" Niall panicked and swung the door open, carrying Harry out the flat. The front door was almost blocked by the fire and Niall took a few steps back, unable to go anywhere. "Try fire escape. Window." Harry croaked and Niall spun round to the back window that Harry was suggesting but that too, was blocked by fire and Niall spun back round to the door again. If only he could get to the fire escape that was on the other side.

"Harry, do you trust me?" Niall croaked, looking down at him and Harry clung onto Nialls t-shirt, staying silent. "Harry." Niall encouraged and Harry sighed, nodding slowly. Niall sighed with relief and barged past the door. Harry winced, crying out in pain as the flames licked at Harry's right side and Harry buried his face in Nialls chest, sobbing quietly. Niall finally made his way to the fire escape and slipped through the window, Harry first.

"There they are!" Liam shouted, pointing up at the couple and a crowd if heads turned to see Niall climbing down the fire escape with Harry in his arms, a camera pointed to Niall. Liam rushed over to help Niall, grabbing on to his hand to help him down. Niall coughed and spluttered at the smoke, stumbling toward the ambulance. Harry was continuously crying out in pain, claiming that he was going to die because of the pain.

"Niall! It hurts! It fucking hurts!" Harry sobbed, clinging on to Harry's t-shirt as he placed him on a gurney in one of the ambulances. Niall gasped as he got a clear view of Harry's helpless body. Harry's bottom half of his lets were covered in his blood and his top half...well his top half was a lot worse. His left side of his body was covered in twenty percent burns, all red and splotchy and bloody. Harry's body was shaking, almost as if he was having a seizure. Niall sighed, grabbing the hems if Harry's t-shirt and slowly lifting it over his head to ease the pain.

"I'm sorry, son, I'm afraid I'm gonna have to get you out of here." A doctor said suddenly, stepping aside to let Harry out. "No, you don't understand-"

"You can follow us to the hospital, if you'd like." The doctor smiled, completely ignoring Niall. "No! He needs me!" Niall protested, standing protectively in front of Harry. The doctor sighed, placing a hand on Nialls shoulder. "I can assure you, he's in good hands now." He promised and Niall sighed, shooting once last glance at Harry before stepping out the van. Niall was immediately surrounded by the media and paramedics. One arm was rushing him toward a separate ambulance where he was sat down, a blanket drawn over him and an oxygen mask placed over his face.

Ignoring the crowd of people pestering him with his questions, his eyes drifted to Liam standing with the hose, desperately trying to put the fire out with his mates. His eyes scanned around the scene until he spotted a figure sitting in the bushes. He frowned, narrowing his eyes at them. Whoever they were, seemed to recognise that Niall was looking at them because they stood up, unaware by everybody else and run off through the closed road, escaping through a dark alley. Niall whipped off his mask and tossed his blanket aside. He went over to his car and grabbed a crime scene bag and went to investigate. He walked behind the bushes were the man was just as and bent down. There, lying amongst the leaves, was a cigarette lighter. Sighing, Niall bent down to pick up and closed the bag, standing back up again.

He sniffed a little when somebody behind him cleared his throat and Niall spun round to see Zayn standing before him. He smiled weakly, taking in the sight of Niall. "Will he be okay?" Zayn asked quietly and that's all it took for Niall to finally break down into a fit if tears, burying his face in Zayns chest while Zayn hugged him tightly.

They stayed like that for a couple of minutes; Zayn being Nialls shoulder to cry on while Niall cried uncontrollably. It wasn't until Nialls phone rang that he decided to pull away. He picked it up, hearing Louis' booming voice at the other end of the line. "Niall! Thank God you're okay. Been trying to catch a hold of you for a while, but it must be really bad service. I heard about the fire and I'm on my way to the flat but they've closed off the road and the London traffic is really bad here, y'know rush hour and all but I'll try and be there as quick as I can. Is everything okay?" Louis rushed and Niall sighed, running a hand through his messy, dusty hair.

"Not really, no. Harry's flat had burnt completely down to the rubble, there's no way of repairing it. Harry's been injured in the fire really severely so he's on the way to the hospital and I'm gonna go see him." Niall explained and there was a short pause, Louis thinking hard. "All right, I'll...I'll meet you at the hospital then, okay?" Louis suggested.

"Okay."

"Bye, then."

Louis hung up and Niall slipped his phone back in his pocket, remove his hand from Zayn. "I better go." Niall croaked reluctantly and Zayn nodded, watching Niall run off into his car. When Niall arrived at the hospital, he went straight to the reception.

"Hi, could you tell me what room Harry Styles is in please?" Niall asked quickly and the woman behind the desk looked up at him. "Private room 2A, first floor." She replied and Niall thanked her, taking the stairs seeing as they were quicker. A nurse was just coming out of Harry's room as Niall approached it and she took in his appearance. "Are you Niall?" She asked automatically and Niall nodded quickly. A smile spread on her lips. "He's been asking for you. He wouldn't stop. He wouldn't even let me inject some painkillers to reduce the pain until he saw you." The nurse explained and couldn't help laughing a little, despite the situation.

"Sounds like Harry." Niall smirked and the nurse smiled, beginning to walk away but Niall stopped her. "How is he? I mean, how bad is the..." Niall trailed off, unsure of where to start. "He's in a lot of pain just now but hopefully that will die down once the painkillers will kick in. He had twenty percent burns all down his right side from the side of his face down to his arms and he's lost a lot of blood in his legs but I've bandaged them up to stop the blood flow. I should warn you, the bandages make it look ten times uglier so...it might be a shock, to...to see him like this." The nurse explained and Niall nodded, gulping dryly. The nurse smiled and patted Niall on the shoulder, leaving Niall alone. Niall took a deep breath and let it out again before heading into Harry’s room.

As predicted, the nurse was right. The bandages on Harry’s skin were a lot uglier than what Niall expected. Half of Harry’s right eye was covered in a thick bandage and his hair was damp with blood. A hospital gown covered most of his burns but Niall could see where it started; on Harry’s fingers and worked its way up to the top. Even his tattoos were barely visible because of the burns. Niall’s face was pale as he stared pityingly at Harry. Harry’s eyes fell on Niall, trying his best to manage a smile but it was impossible; his skin was too tight. “I must look a right state.” Harry tried his best in attempt to lighten mood and Niall sighed, sitting down next to him.

“No, I’ve seen you worse when you wake up in the morning.” Niall joked back and Harry croaked a laugh. “Hey, I’m adorable in the morning.” Harry replied, trying to pout. “Exactly.” Niall beamed and Harry smirked.  Niall’s smile faded as he stared at Harry again. “I’m really, really stupid.” Niall finally admitted and Harry tilted his head in confusion. “No, you’re not-“

“No, listen. If I hadn’t left that flat in the first place, then none of this would’ve happened.”

“But if I hadn’t taken these drugs from my dad then none of this would’ve happened.” Harry challenged but Niall shook his head. “It wasn’t your fault.” Niall insisted, but Harry made a face, his muscles tightening. “If you hadn’t left, then we’d both be in that fire. I’d have no one to save me. I wouldn’t even be here.” Harry retorted but Niall frowned. “If we were both in that fire then I still would’ve saved you. Either way.” Niall replied and Harry’s left side of his mouth twitched into a smile. “Do I deserve a kiss?” Niall asked innocently and Harry laughed. “You deserve more than a kiss, babe. You deserve a fucking medal.” Harry said cheekily and Niall laughed, reaching forward to press his lips softly to Harry’s. Niall smiled, enjoying the sheer warmth of Harry’s tongue, but was disappointed when Harry pulled away. “I’m finding it a little difficult to kiss you right now.” Harry admitted sheepishly and Niall sighed, pressing his forehead against Harry’s. He cupped Harry’s cheek, his free side, the one that wasn’t burnt off. “It’s normally me doing this to you.” Harry sniffed, tears rolling down his cheeks. Either at the pain of his burns or the thought of not being to kiss Niall. Either way, he was still crying. In front of Niall. To Harry, that was just was the height of embarrassing. Niall smiled sympathetically, gazing into Harry’s emerald eyes. “I’m not going anywhere, okay? Not until you get better.” Niall decided and Harry snorted. “You’re going to be here a while then.” Harry retorted smartly and Niall rolled his eyes at Harry’s stubbornness.

Meanwhile, Louis had finally reached Harry’s hospital and after finding where Harry was, he headed up to his room. As Louis arrived, he was about to open the door when he stopped. Niall was there. What the – was he kissing Harry? Louis gulped, his face practically pressed against the glass. Niall’s back was too him, so he couldn’t see Louis but Louis could clearly see Niall’s face impossibly close to Harry’s. Yep, they were kissing. Well, at least trying to. By the look of Harry’s face, and his scrunched up eyes, it looked like he was in a lot of pain of attempting to do so. Louis frowned, about to barge in on them, but then he saw a look on Harry’s face that stopped him. He just looked so desperate. So desperate in wanting to kiss Niall, that it actually hurt him to do so. Louis heaved a deep sigh, shaking his head in disbelief and walked away, heading for the cafeteria.

__________________________

Helloooo. Here's an update. Next update will be next weekend! As promised! All your comments have been wonderful, please continue to do so. 20+ comments and I'll update next week? Thank you! :)