The Rise of Chapter One

J A C K     F R O S T

Cold.

That's the first thing that Jack felt. It was an all too familiar feeling, but it bothered him for the first time. Naturally, as the Guardian of Winter, Jack would be immune to the cold. However, right now, Jack isn't immune. He was feeling cold, shivering and miserable, and he didn't like it. As far as he knew, the cold was his cause of death. It's ironic really, that he turned out controlling the element he died from. That he became a Guardian and such. It was such a 360-degree turn from normalcy, from his past of trickery and mischief. He was so normal then.

Now, he was feeling quite normal but at the same time, not. Sure there was cold but if you were buried in deep layers of snow, you wouldn't just be wondering why you're there. You would be shuddering you're brains out.
Jack stood up, out of the snow and observed his surroundings. He was surrounded by trees so it is safe to assume that he's in a forest.
"Frostbites, Pitch!" He whispered in frustration."Where in winter's name did you transport me to?"
Jack looked at himself. He was still wearing his cloak, his symbol of being a guardian, with his blue hoodie and trousers underneath. He was still barefoot and his hair is still intact but something felt different and he knew it. He stared at himself for a little longer until he saw what's actually different. He's having frostbites, and that was the main reason for his feeling of cold.
He frowned and looked up. It was daylight but the moon is still visible.
"Manny!" Jack shouted "What happened to me? Where am I?"
He stared at the moon for a long time but he did not receive an answer. He started walking and walking, searching for a house or any trace of civilization for that matter. A long time passed and he saw nothing, only a stream.
He sighed and kept walking. That is, until he fell into the stream. Falling and being wet certainly surprised Jack Frost. Jack stood up and looked at the stream. It looked like a normal stream but why...?
Why did he fall in? Normally he can walk on water because on each step he takes, the water turns to ice. But the stream didn't freeze, instead Jack felt colder.
"What the...?" Jack murmered. A lot of thoughts came into his mind when a sentence shocked him.
You are turning normal, Jack Frost.
At once, Jack looked up to the moon that seemed to glow brighter than the sun. The Man in the Moon spoke to Jack again, and the first time was so many years ago. Jack did not doubt the Man in the Moon's words. He believed every word with not one drop of doubt. But of course, the thought of turning normal is impossible. He is already immortal...isn't he?
The more Jack thought about it, the more things come into light. That would explain the cold, the frostbites and the stream. If Jack was indeed turning normal...would his hair become auburn again? Will he grow up into adulthood? Would he die because of his current age?!
Jack frowned and threw a snowball directed at the moon. But of course, it didn't hit. So he decided to keep moving. He crossed the stream and walked again but this time, he saw a town, or is iut a kindom? He wasn't sure. What he's sure of is that what matters right now is to know where, or when, he is.
He looked around and frowned. The atmosphere was very gloomy and being the Guardian of Fun, he can't take that. He tried making the kids have fun by doing the same things he had done to Jamie, teaching them to enjoy snow day. But, before he could even throw a snowball, he saw the kids' crestfallen faces.Jack Frost knew that it was of no use.
He entered an inn with an even more intense gloomy atmosphere than outside. He approached the innkeper behind the counter. The innkepper tried to maintain a neutral face but the weariness in his eyes was obvious.
"Welcome, stranger," The innkeeper greeted. Jack was a bit surprised that someone saw him. Soon after, all of the room's eyes are on him. "What would it be? We've got cold rootbeer, cold marmalade, cold salad,cold-"
"No, no, nothing cold for me." Jack replied. The innkeeper nodded.
"Well sorry, stranger, but we're all out of hot chocolate and hot coffee. But, we do have-"
"Yeah, um, see I'm not looking for anything to drink or eat," Jack explained. "Ah, Just one question though, where am I?"
"Well, stranger, you're in the kingdom of Arendelle, the greatest place to spend your summer vacations."
"Really? Well, what time of the year is it then?"
The innkeeper then turned pale. A few eavesdroppers got saddened too. "I'm afraid it's summer time, stranger, but due to a series of unexpected happenings, we are trapped in an accursed winter."
"What happened?" Jack was interested but at the same time, angry. The thought of another Winter spirit playing around with this town agitated him.
"See, our queen, Queen Elsa, actually had ice powers. A few days ago, her coronation commenced and the gates were opened..." The innkeeper sighed when he saw that Jack did not understand. "The royal family lives in a palace in the middle of Arendelle. Long ago the gates to the palace was open to everyone but, one day, the royal family suddenly decided to close the gates and reduce the staff. A lot of people thought something was wrong with the King and Queen but, now that we think about it, it probably has something to do with Queen Elsa having her powers.
"Anyway, at the after-party of the coronation, I don't exactly know the details since commoners were not allowed inside, it was said that Princess Anna, Queen Elsa's sister, had agitated Queen Elsa and resulted to revealing her powers to everyone. I guess Her Highness had been so afraid when she stormed outside. I saw her then. She didn't mean to hit the duke but a lot of people were afraid. I kinda sympathize for her, to carry the burden of her powers all alone..."
A drinker beside Jack laughed. "Yeah, right Frank. Queen Elsa, afraid. Did you see her regal face at her coronation? All seemed well! I think someone cursed her then. Or maybe yet, she really is a monster! I mean, what kind of Queen sets off an eternal winter at her own kingdom? None, I tell ya! Only that Snow Queen does!" A lot of people guffawed with the drinker that it made Jack frown.
Just because their Queen can't control her ice powers doesn't mean she's a monster, Jack thought. "So how is Queen Elsa now?"
"Missing," The innkeeper replied. "Princess Anna is looking for her, right now."
"Then who is running things around here? Their parents?"
Another face of pain. The whole room became silent. So quiet that Jack really thought he had hit a very private matter. "The King and Queen..." the innkeeper whispered. "Died at sea during a storm three years ago. Queen Elsa and Princess Anna are orphans. The one in charge right now, given power by Princess Anna, is Prince Hans of the Southern Isles."
"Oh..." Jack was speechless. How could have that felt for the Queen? From the looks of it, Princess Anna, her sister herself, doesn't know about her own powers. How did she manage? To be limited, living in fear of being discovered, being alone...Being alone was a huge depression for Jack Frost. How can one stand to be alone through facing those?
Jack only noticed but the innkeeper has been staring at Jack for quite a while now. Jack felt uneasy and decided to leave. "Well, I guess that's all. Thanks for chatting but I think I have to go..." Jack started walking briskly towards the exit. "Well good-"
"Wait!" A drinker near the door cried. Jack sighed mentally. "Sonny, I don't think you noticed but-your, uh, hair is, um, changing."
This obviously confused Jack. Another drinker passed a shard of glass then Jack saw what he meant. So this is why the innkeeper was staring, Jack thought. He stared at the brown streak forming in his hair. He was turning normal rather fast. At least ,he was right about having his auburn hair back but...what about his immortality?
Noticing that the majority of the room was staring at him, he smiled and nervously laughed. "Heh, I guess the, uh, dye is dying- I mean the white dye in my hair is, uh...um...fading. Uh yeah, fading away. See, nothing out of the ordinary, go back to you cups! I'll be on my way now!"
Then Jack sprinted outside into the woods he came from to the stream that he fell into. He stared at his reflection, and he stared hard and good. His face was now covered by brown bangs.
"Wow, I look good." Jack laughed and scratched the back of his head. What to do now?
He could go back in Arendelle, talk to Prince Hans about...something but he could also set out to find the Queen. Maybe the Queen can help him regain his powers and he, in turn, can help her control hers. It's a win-win situation.
"Alright, "Jack stretched and plastered a smile on his face. "Let's go find this so-called Snow Queen."
And so Jack made his way deeper into the forest, unknowingly going towards the Northern mountains.