Chapter 27

It’s been a week and I have hardly left her side. Don’t get too excited; I still don’t have my memories back. I just can’t bring myself to leave if we were this close for this long how can I leave her side? Even leaving aside everything I can’t remember we were still raised together. Hell my parents have pictures of us both in diapers running around their house.

I’m sure how to explain it but I have this pull that is making me stay here. It’s like my body can’t bear to be away from her; especially my heart. My chest constantly has an ache in it but the ache gets worse when I increase the distance between us so I have just quit fighting it. If my body can’t stand to be away from her than I know that what everyone is saying is true.

Don’t get me wrong it’s not like I find her repulsive or something it’s just I can’t believe this beautiful girl would ever give me another chance. I’ve chased after her most of my life and to have her finally back in my grasp only to be taken away so quickly really sucks. I don’t know how else to explain it other than it sucks.

All of our family, friends and random people from school have been coming by to check on her but now everyone apparently is starting to get worried about me. Since I haven’t left much I haven’t really been eating like I normally do and have dropped a few pounds but I just can’t bear to eat anything with her still in this hospital bed. I just feel like I should’ve done something more to get her out of her dad’s house. Hell I should’ve been there when he mother died and all through high school. I run a weary hand over my face and lean my head onto were I’m holding her hand on the bed.

I guess I fell asleep because the next thing I know someone is shaking my shoulder saying my name. I jerk upright and immediately regret it from the pain shooting through my back from lying so weird. I turn around to see Matt, Erik, Mikey, and Big Vince standing there looking at me with worried looks on their faces. Without letting go of Liz’s hand I twist my back slightly both way sighing a little in relief when it pops some and stretches the muscles; it’s better than nothing at the moment.

‘What’s up guys?’ I ask while pulling my seat up with my free hand so I can lean back in the chair without letting go of Liz’s hand.

‘Just checking in on you both.’ Mikey says while looking at our clasped hands with a sad smile.

‘Well we’re here not sure what else you want me to say.’ I say scratching the back of my neck lightly.

 ‘We are really worried about you, you pretty much live here, you are hardly eating, and you always sleep in that awful ass chair.’ Erik says making the others nod their heads in agreement.

‘Look I’m not leaving here until she wakes up. It’s the least I can do after abandoning her back in junior high which as everyone knows I have regretted since then. I cannot express how much I have missed her; her laugh, her joking, her smile, just plain everything. It really sucks that I finally have her back and I can’t even remember the short time we have had together; it’s just not fair.’ I whisper the last part as I feel tears prick my eyes. I move my eyes back to her and scrub my eyes when the sight of her starts to blur from the unshed tears.

‘Your memory will come back little brother I promise but have to be patient right now.’ Mikey says laying a hand on my shoulder.

‘I’m tired of being fucking patient right now. The girl I have been in love with since I was a kid is in a coma because her piece of shit father won’t get over the fact that his wife died. He is taking what feels like my one chance to be completely happy. He’s doing what he feels she did to him to me and he doesn’t even give two shits that it’s his own fucking daughter. I want my damn memory back right damn now and I don’t give a crap if it hurts worse in the long run or not. I have no happy memories with her right now to cling too and it feels like it’s ripping me apart.’ I say ignoring the tears trailing down my face.

‘It will be okay Chris; I promise you she will pull through this. You were meant to be together and it will all work out. Just hang on because if you lose it and she wakes up to find out something happened to you it’s just going to break her heart and we all know you don’t want to do that.’ Mikey says squeezing my shoulder tightly before pulling his hand back.

‘Alright.’ I whisper before placing a kiss on the back of her hand in mine.

‘Do you want us to get you something to eat?’ Big Vince asks.

‘I don’t care.’

‘Well is there anything in particular that you would want to eat right now?’

‘I really just don’t care right now; just pick whatever.’ I say shrugging.

‘Alright um well at least tell me if you want chicken or a burger.’ Big Vince and I can hear a little frustration in his voice.

‘Burger’s fine and thank you.’ I say glancing up at Big Vince and giving him a grateful smile.

‘No problem man; what are friends for? I’ll be back in 10, anyone else want something?’ After everyone said no Big Vince left to go get me food that I wasn’t even sure if I could hold down. Everything tastes like cardboard right now which is another reason why I haven’t been eating.

‘She will wake up man you just have to have faith.’ Mikey says from the couch on the other side of her bed while leaning over and gently taking her other hand. Matt just nods at the statement while stepping forward and rubbing her feet but I know he just has to touch her.

‘I know but I’m just so damn impatient. I just need to see her up and moving around, this is driving me insane.’ I say for the hundredth time in the past week.

After that we stay silent even after Big Vince brings back the food. I choke down my cheeseburger even though my stomach protests and it I was correct in the assumption that again it would taste like cardboard. When the silence apparently gets to annoying for Erik he reaches over to take the remote off of the bedside table and turns on the TV. After searching through random channels and finding nothing catching any of our interest he decides to start flipping through music channels.

‘Dude I am not listening to a person who has a freaking dollar sign in their name, change the channel before I hurt you.’ Matt grumbles making me actually chuckle lightly.

‘Whatever, say what you will but she’s like hot in a dirty way. Plus, I like the beat to some of her songs.’ Erik grumbles back causing all of the guys to quickly jump in and start picking on him so he changes the channel quickly.

‘Hey turn that back.’ I say suddenly when he passes by a channel.

‘Dude you want to listen to Gospel? I mean no judgment here, praise God and all that but seriously?’ Erik asks eyeing me up making me roll my eyes.

‘No idiot the one before that I think. Hurry up before it changes songs.’ I say seriously.

‘Since when do you listen to The Band Perry?’ Mikey asks me but all I can see is Liz smiling up at me in her kitchen.

As soon as the song is over all of these images start flying through my brain causing me to groan in pain. I can feel tears rush out of my eyes from the amount of pain I’m feeling right now. I cannot believe what’s happening to me right now. I’m not sure if the worst pain is coming from my heart of from my head. I’m not sure how long I sit there before the pain dissipates from my head enough where I can hear everyone’s voices frantically asking me if I’m ok.

‘I remember everything.’ Is all I can get out before the sobs over take me.

****************

short?...yes and i'm sorry for that but i figured you all have been waiting long enough. sorry :/

dedicated to an amazing writer and best friend :) i love you hun; thanks for all of the support!!!!